Main Purpose of Role:
The EHS Manager is responsible for assisting all line managers in providing a safe workplace which has a minimum impact on the environment. The EHS Manager advises and assists on all aspects of legal compliance relating to safety and wellbeing of employees, contractors and any other stakeholders and all relevant laws and permits relating to good environmental practice. The EHS Manager compiles and presents information necessary for compliance with all relevant permits, and other legal requirements relating to health, safety and the environment.
The EHS Manager has the following responsibilities;
• Ensuring that the Power Station is operated and maintained in line with all relevant Statues, Laws, Regulations, Approved Codes of Practice, Permits and Standards applicable in the UK and those specific to this site.
• Zero Harm Champion – Lead and promote the Zero Harm Culture throughout all aspects of the O&M business.
• Collation and overview of all EHS incident reports, environmental issues, safety observations and near miss reports.
• Maintaining records and reporting of data for the purpose of statutory records and permit compliance.
• Ownership and management of the environmental register of ’Aspects and Impacts’ as defined in ISO14001:2015.
• Production and maintenance of technical information including the results of any monitoring or sampling activities related to health, safety and the environment.
• Technical lead for all EHS related matters arising on site.
• Support the establishment and the maintenance of the international management systems according to ISO9001:2015, ISO14001:2015, ISO 45001:2018 and ISO 55001: 2014 Asset Management.
• Support the Siemens O&M internal auditing process
• Participate in & lead EHS incident investigations ensuring the identification of immediate & root causes and implementation/close out of actions to prevent recurrence.
• Effective communication of lessons learnt, toolbox talks, safety stand downs, continuous improvements etc identified/highlighted from accidents, incidents, near miss and safety concerns across the business internally and externally.
• Monitoring of lagging and leading indicators to determine trend analysis of information rich events.
• Presentation of essential EHS information and training
• Actively drive EHS management system aspects in relation to documentation, competence and training, communication and engagement with the project and site teams.
• Support the O&M team in the development of risk measures to proactively mitigate and effectively control operational EHS risk, including emergency arrangements to meet legislative and customer requirements.
• Encourage & promote a responsible attitude towards health, safety and the environment
• Ensure that internal and external EHS audits are scheduled and undertaken in accordance with the QMS and external accreditation bodies as required.
• Client – Sound knowledge of the O&M contract, principles and processes for achieving the client’s business strategies and objectives. This includes client needs assessment and continuous evaluation of client satisfaction.
• Regulators and government agencies – representing the interests of Siemens and our Customer in any matters relating to EH&S statutes, regulations, permits and consents relating to the operation and maintenance of Severn Power Station
• Onshore and Offshore Management Team – Maintain effective relationships to ensure the integrity of the Siemens O&M contract and business strategies and objectives.
• On site O&M team - Motivate and encourage team members, provide guidance and promote staff development, develop a highly capable O&M team
• Supporting Contract Companies and Partners – Develop and maintain essential relationships to ensure the safe, effective and efficient site support in specialist areas.
• Communicating, as directed by the Plant Manager and the Customer, with other stakeholders such as the Residents’ Committee and other members of the public in relation to EHS issues.
Knowledge, Experience and Competencies:
• Sound practical, scientific and technical knowledge including applying principles, techniques, processes and procedures to achieve the safe operation and maintenance of the station with minimal environmental impact.
• Excellent risk-based cost-effective decision-making skills.
• Environmental Management experience
• Practicable Project Management experience
• Power Generation operational and maintenance experience
• Excellent Management skills - knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modelling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
• Self-motivated with ability to effectively prioritize workload
• Good oral, written and interpersonal skills
• Experience of recording and the reporting of accurate data and business critical information.
• Experience in behavioural safety to bring increased awareness, accountability and behavioural changes in all elements of EHS.
• Project & process management experience, including external benchmarking and continual improvement of Safety Management Systems.
• Experience in management and deployment of EHS systems.
• Experience in developing & improving EHS systems.
• Educated to minimum of degree level or equivalent in relevant subjects, including safety and environmental management.
• Minimum of 10 years EH&S experience, within Power Generation, engineering, manufacturing or similar work environments.
• Management Qualification.
• Health and Safety Qualification to NEBOSH Occupational Health and Safety Diploma or equivalent, IEMA Certificate or equivalent to degree level.
• Expectation that CPD will be undertaken to attain CMIOSH.