The Energy Management Division is one of the leading global suppliers of products, systems, solutions and services for the economical, reliable and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power.
The Division’s portfolio ranges from systems for the low-voltage and distribution power grid level to smart grids and energy automation solutions to power supplies for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems.
About the role
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse committed to engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI) provides technologies for the economic, reliable, intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
Siemens @North Riding is looking for a Testing Engineer to join their Distribution Systems Business Unit (BU) within the Smart Infrastructure Division. The Testing Engineer will perform electrical, application and mechanical testing on Power Distribution products (Low Voltage Switchgear, MV Switchboards and Power Panels). As a Testing Engineer within SI you will be playing a critical tole towards maintaining quality of highly custom and complex products. The candidate will report to Factory Quality Manager and will have no direct reports.
Ideally you will have at least 5 years’ experience in the similar testing environment combined with a minimum of a National Diploma (or higher) from recognized institution. You should have knowledge in the testing procedures and testing methods, using complex testing equipment and be well versed in reading & analyzing complex drawings and assisting the Design Engineer with customer requirements. Your ability & similar experience to work independently and be able to control the work when working with fellow employees will make you an ideal fit for this role.
What do I need to qualify?
- Test and inspect Low Voltage Switchgear and Medium Voltage Switchboards to applicable standards
- Reading and interpreting complex drawings, schematic diagrams, specification sheets, performance charts, test standards and other procedures.
- Knowledge and understanding of IEC- and SANS-standards relevant to Switchgear and constituent material.
- Occasionally repairing test boards and referring questionable conditions to supervisor.
- Maintain and input records or reports related to testing / inspecting activities.
- Develop, improve and implement best practices on testing our Switchgear, ensuring the boards are complete in time and promote expertise with our customers.
- Ensure that the work is done according to Siemens-; Customer-; IEC and SANS-specifications and deliver best in class quality to ensure customer satisfaction on all levels.
- Ensures quality timely implementation of testing activities within project targets.
- Provide technical support during installation of test objects.
- Working with outside inspectors and/or customers demonstrating electrical circuits, construction, and operation of switchgear and compliance of switchgear with specifications and standards while observing all safety regulations as required.
- Supervises fellow learner technicians/ engineers in training. Guides and shares best practices
- Takes ownership of his work and actions and pride to obtain best results.
Job ID: 105048
Organization: Energy Management
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time