Senior Bid Manager
Siemens Rolling Stock are recruiting for a Senior Bid Manager to join their expanding team. The Bids and Tendering function is a centralised bidding team that is responsible for the delivery of all bids and tenders (and associated pre-qualification submissions) for Siemens Rolling Stock business in the UK. You will be a senior member of the bids and tendering function, reporting to the Head of Bids and Tendering, providing leadership to bid teams to deliver high quality, winning bids, and ensuring these are effectively mobilised for project execution.
What are my responsibilities?
- Effectively lead and manage matrix bid teams to deliver complex solutions to customer requirements and deliver successful tenders that can range from relatively small monetary values to £1bn+. Manage, direct and control bid resources to achieve the optimum position for Siemens.
- Develop, define and implement winning bid strategies around customer evaluation criteria to maximise profit and deliverability, whilst minimising risk to the overall business and provide direction and leadership to the bid team to ensure:
- Customer requirements are captured using appropriate requirements capture tool
- Tender elements are challenged to ensure optimum submission to address evaluation criteria and maximise scoring in every area
- Commercial and contractual position is supportive of the technical solution
- Ensure bid/tender submission are ‘joined up’, of very high quality and compelling based on individual inputs.
- Customer invitations to tender are fully understood and the ‘exam questions’ identified thoroughly embracing how tenders are to be evaluated during the process
- Work with Head of Bids and Tendering and Heads of Business Development to establish winning target price positions for vehicles, maintenance, modifications and ancillary projects enabling margin expectations to be achieved.
- Work with Head of Bids and Tendering (and others as appropriate) to define and ensure appropriate resources are made available for the bid.
- Responsible for the preparation, review and coordination of compelling tender documentation ensuring high levels of consistency and quality, that adequately captures our offer, leverages the Rolling Stock and wider Siemens portfolio, provides an accurate baseline for a future project - all delivered in good time to meet bid timescales; The senior bid manager is responsible for developing document templates, style guides and assigning document responsibility as well as writing, editing and challenging bid submissions;
- Responsible for the management and implementation of Siemens corporate governance surrounding its sales activity including, but not limited to, Limits of Authority (LoA) process and PM@Siemens milestones through the EPIQ tool - with a view to ensuring:
- Compliance and adherence to process in an efficient and proportionate manner
- Manage the delivery of bid milestone and all other associated meetings ensuring high quality review meeting materials are prepared on time and distributed with the required advanced notice and ensure following up actions are tracked, managed and closed out
- Alignment through the bidding process with all interested departments and stakeholders (for example, but not limited to, Project Management, Engineering, Procurement and Operations)
- The transfer of bid knowledge from the tendering team to the project execution team, verifying the tender and achieving scope stability and handover
- Recording and closing out actions through the process.
- Support the development of and continually improve Siemens Rolling Stock approach to bid and tender management, co-ordination, preparation and delivery within the corporate governance framework and maintain a systematic approach to capturing and incorporating good practice and lessons learned as part of a continual improvement process.
- Ability to both disseminate and explain complex customer requirements to internal stakeholders and demonstrate and describe complex bids to customers.
- Involvement in pre and post bid submission negotiations with customers encompassing technical, financial and commercial considerations (it is anticipated that negotiation teams will comprise the appropriate members of the bidding team and sales organisation depending upon requirement).
- Act as the lead bid contact for Siemens both internally and externally, managing customers in a way that facilitates a good working relationship.
- Ensure that Siemens bid, technical and commercial approach is cohesive and aligned to business objectives and act as the fulcrum for the bid team. Work closely with technical and commercial partners to deliver an optimised bid and ensure that there is a common understanding between functions throughout the bid life cycle.
- Production and delivery of high quality presentations to support messaging and reporting (internal and external to the client) up to board/HQ levels. This is a general requirement that will be dictated by business and customer need.
- Support analysis and reporting of the market (both historic and future pipeline), bidding opportunities, project status as part of the wider sales monthly reporting regime, including supporting the development and enhancement of standardised processes for bid reporting to suit the needs of the business.
- Systematic and continuous approach (alongside the Sales function) to the market, relevant industry stakeholders and the competition with the objective of identifying customer/stakeholder requirements and analysis of competitive position to articulate into a winning bid submission.
- Nurture and develop relationships with customers that provides a stable foundation for future business opportunities and collaboration to meet current needs and explore potential opportunities for mutual benefit and have the ability to influence customer decision making through presenting Siemens solutions that benefit both Siemens and the customer.
- Manage and coordinate communication channels internally and externally including within the bid teams, customers and all relevant internal Siemens departments. The senior bid manager will act as the bridge between client and internal stakeholders, ensuring each customer interaction is optimised, recorded and effectively communicated and managed across the Sales team and the wider business.
- Manage customer clarification process in an orderly manner ensuring that clarifications are quickly monitored, tracked, responded to where necessary and stored. Manage the clarification process such that responses are provide in the required timescales to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Keep tight control of internal folders and document control, document and store all relevant communications, documents and submissions appropriately to ensure an auditable document control and bid process and adherence to Siemens infosec guidelines for the safeguarding of confidential and sensitive material.
- Develop strong relationships internally to influence product development, pricing and collaboration in bid approach / format, all necessary to achieve bidding strategies and explore opportunities for mutual benefit alongside the business development team.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders and co-ordinate the necessary communications and stakeholder management interaction in support of the bid submission.
What skills and experience do I need to apply?
Ability to influence and negotiate with people at all levels within Siemens Rolling Stock and Mobility, customer organisations, whilst fostering strong working relationships at all levels.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas ,of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.The closing date for applications is 30th April 2019.
Job ID: 105918
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time