Senior Design Engineer (Protection and Control)
Siemens Rail Electrification are seeking outstanding Protection and Control Senior Design Engineers to help drive forward not just the largest electrification projects in the UK, but also the state of the art in railway protection capability. You will be involved in introducing innovations delivering a step change in performance of UK railway protection and control, making a real difference to safety and reliability of UK railways.
Based out of our offices in York you will be working alongside the best in the industry, you will be part of a dynamic team that is redefining what is possible in Railway Electrification.
What are my Responsibilities?
- Direct the preparation of technical details, distribution drawings, estimates and working drawings for rail traction power works within the project team to meet laid down timescales and authorised budget constraints.
- Carry out independent checking of design documents as required.
- Ensure that the technical and safety standards are maintained in all aspects of design work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved
- Provide functional support and guidance to the Design Delivery Manager and others within the team on all aspects of Traction Power Design within allocated projects.
- Provide support and input to Project Manager and Project Engineers on allocated projects.
- Identify the required budget provision for allocated projects to enable sufficient financial authority to be gained.
- Participate in and monitor the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required.
- Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets.
- Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available commercial award for the Company.
- Prepare and deliver briefings to staff on technical, procedural and Handbook publications, including participation in relevant training.
- Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
- Focus on individual and team development through the completion of annual performance appraisals, career reviews and through the management of poor performance.
- Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
- Perform duties as directed by Management from time to time in connection with traction power design activities.
- Support problem solving and site engineering when required.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Commitment to improving safety, reliability and cost of railway protection and control systems
- An Engineering Degree or HND minimum.
- Member of the IET or other recognised Professional body.
- Flexible, innovative approach, able to evaluate and adapt alternative new technologies
- Able to contribute and work within a team of industry-leading engineers in an environment willing to challenge and be challenged in pursuit of excellence
- Experience in all aspects of the design and implementation of rail high voltage traction power systems with particular emphasis on the preparation and checking of designs (protection calculations, IED configuration etc).
- Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent understanding of task, time and people management.
- Working towards Chartered Engineer Status
- Theoretical understanding of three phase and 25kV railway protection principles, and practical experience of fault analysis
- Good commercial awareness and knowledge of contract conditions.
- Experience of Protection Philosophy development and documentation
- Experience of configuration, implementation, de-bugging and testing IEC61850
- Experience of network and SCADA configuration
- Experience in producing Testing & Commissioning strategies and fault analysis experience;
- Testing and commissioning experience, willingness to travel to site;
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 372,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Job ID: 106025
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time