Following the growth in our Control Centre market we require a Lead Software Engineer to join our Chippenham based agile product development team.
The role will cover all aspects of Control Systems product development, including, requirements gathering, software design, development and testing, all to European safety standards. Our UK Systems teams operate as a turnkey unit and provide solutions not only to our internal projects but direct to external clients including our major customer Network Rail.
You will be a key player in a small team with the chance to really have an impact on the delivery of railway products into the UK market.
Our growth has been fuelled by our innovative product solutions such as WESTCAD and WESTRONIC applications that cover Train control, SCADA and Automatic Route Setting systems.
The successful candidate will be experienced in the full life cycle of software development and have a track record of delivering all aspects of Software Engineering from concept to delivery.
What are my responsibilities?
- Scoping and Defining Product functionlity and releases
- Requirements analysis and specification of high level software design
- Software architecture / OO design
- Development and implementation of software products
- Deliver to required standards
- Take on agile roles with each assigned project
- Lead others to deliver high qulaity-safe software
- Requirements Analysis
- Design using UML
- Object Oriented coding
- Development of test plans and specifications
- Support of integration and system testing
- Visits to site to assist in testing and commissioning
- Accurate estimation of task
- Accurate and timely reporting of progress and issues
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Graduate in relevant engineering discipline or other numerate subject, although equivalent experience/education would also be considered (essential)
- Proficient in UML, OO, C++, C# (essential)
- Experience of Unit Testing (essential)
- Experience of software engineering in a lead role (essential)
- Self-motivated, adaptable and able to learn quickly (essential)
- Ability to lead small numbers of engineers as required (essential)
- Demonstrable knowledge of good development standards and practices as applicable to engineering disciplines, with experience of delivering systems in a controlled software environment (essential)
- Good knowledge of configuration management and control practices (essential)
- Good verbal and written communication skills (essential)
- Good inter-personal skills (essential)
- Willingness to occasionally travel (essential)
- Experience of developing Safety Critical Software
- Experience with Test Driven Development
- Familiarity with Agile software development techniques (ideally Scrum)
- Proficient in using UML for software design
- Experience with DOORS
- Experience with Artisan
- Railway Industry background. Knowledge of CENELEC 50128
- Systems Engineering experience
- Knowledge of Source Control Systems
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 372,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.