Siemens, the leading global engineering and technology services company, has been active in the United Kingdom for over 170 years. We provide innovative solutions to help tackle the UK’s major challenges, across the key sectors of energy, industry, infrastructure & cities and healthcare. Siemens has a significant presence throughout the UK, with 12 manufacturing sites and more than 25 major offices.
A Software Engineer is required to join our Software Department in Ashby de la Zouch to deliver ground-breaking control, automation and information systems within the Rail Station Management Systems team and is expected to undertake activities in support of one or more of the following disciplines:
- Software Engineering
- System Engineering
- Software Tools Support
- Integration, Test and Validation Engineering
What are my Responsibilities?
- Responsible for the delivery of work packages to meet budget, timescale, quality and system performance targets.
- Design, implementation, configuration and test of applications; ensuring that all internal and external standards are adhered to.
- Where necessary, design and implement database tables and methods, ensuring that any tables and methods are consistent with current internal and industry standards.
- Able to write clean, robust and maintainable code to minimize the cost of defects over time
- Maintain existing software code - analyse and resolve customer and internally reported problems
- Work with customers to understand and improve existing code for their area.
- Follow the Software Development Lifecycle Process (SDLC), including writing design documents, coding and testing.
- Communication and collaboration within the team and with customers
- Produce unit tests, test specifications and co-ordinate testing of the work packages.
- Use of version and configuration control.
- Provide cost and resource estimates for project engineering activities.
- Produce regular reports and attend internal and external meetings to discuss both project and technical issues; setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Ensure that all work conducted by themselves is conducted safely and to the required standards.
- Contribute to process and methodology improvements
- Provide assistance to testers and support personnel as needed to determine system problems.
- Maintain and develop own professional competence.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Bachelors, Masters or higher degree in a relevant engineering discipline with a high level of Software content
- Significant practical experience of developing software within a Microsoft .Net Framework
- Expert competence for C# with a knowledge of other computer languages and ability to learn new programming languages quickly.
- Experience of Passenger/Customer Information/Integrated Station Management Systems, particularly bus/train movements in relation to the running timetable.
- Knowledge and experience of full engineering development lifecycles, both Waterfall and Agile.
- Good knowledge of computer program design methods and techniques.
- Ability to effectively diagnose problems.
- Ability in maintaining and debugging live software systems.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft operating systems and development tools.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experienced in the use of configuration management and change control tools.
- An understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts.
- Possess a positive and self-motivating attitude with the ability to think innovatively.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills; with an emphasis on verbal and written communication.
- Experience of UK railway operational principles of train movements and planning.
- Understanding of multi-subsystem Station Management applications.
- Ability to teach and/or instruct co-workers.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment.
- Experience of developing software for control systems applications and/or data analytics
- Good knowledge of IT systems and software; Microsoft Office, Excel, Internet Explorer, Outlook and others.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Job ID: 122073
Company: SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITED
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time