We're looking for dedicated people with the skills and vision to build a better tomorrow. As a Machinist / Tool Sharpener, you will use micrometers, calipers, and other measuring tools to repair tooling, and create parts for projects. The majority of your work is sharpening tooling (punches and dies) used on CNC machines. You will also do mill work to make specialty items necessary for the repairs of machines or creation of machine parts. All your work is performed to tight tolerances.
- Read instructional material necessary to perform operations.
- Create tooling, jigs, or machine parts.
- Perform setup of work piece; install tooling, fixtures, and make required settings and adjustments.
- Make repairs to tooling, fixtures, and equipment as required or deliver to proper area for replacement or repair.
- Run a variety of equipment to create a complete part, as directed by supervisor.
- Provide models or experimental projects to Engineering or production.
- Keep inventory of tooling used on CNC machines using a min/max system.
- Obtaining quotes of needed tooling and submitting for ordering.
- Perform tool checks at the machine operator sites to determine condition or quality of punches.
- Assist in the solving of production quality issues related to tooling.
- Provide thorough carryovers to minimize confusion and/or loss of time.
- Notify supervision/maintenance of irregularities or equipment malfunctions.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Keep work area clean, orderly, and safe.
- Understanding and working to within schedule requirements.
- Create maintenance work orders and input information.
- Keep accurate records of work performed.
- Attend to the needs of personnel requesting services or material at the maintenance gate.
- Other assignments given by supervisor related to maintenance in the areas of electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic as qualified experience allows.
- Other rotating non maintenance assignments common to all maintenance technicians.
What are the responsibilities?
- Operator is responsible for their own safety as well as others in the work area. Following JHA guidelines is required at all times. Inattention, thoughtlessness or careless operation of equipment or performance of duties may cause lost-time injuries to self or others.
- Responsibility for Equipment or Process, The equipment used (Milling, Turning, Grinding, EDM, etc.) should not be damaged when following standard processes. Misuse may result in considerable damage and costly repairs. Routine maintenance of the equipment is required.
- Moderate physical effort required with bending, stretching, walking, and standing. Gripping and grasping tools is common, as is using of mechanical controls such as buttons, knobs, and levers. Some repetitive motion is involved in the execution of job tasks. A crane is available for lifting and carrying bar stock, fixtures, or cutting tools, some of which may weigh up to 50 pounds; tasks involving such weights are performed routinely. A-frames, chip cans, toolboxes, and pallets must occasionally be pushed/pulled.
- Constant mental and visual attention required to perform repetitive and variable responsibilities. Normal or corrected vision and hearing required.
- Most work is performed in the shop area where dust, dirt, vibration, noise, and moving equipment are present to a limited degree. Contact with oil, coolant, and grease is likely
- Care should be taken in the operation of equipment and in lifting/moving of materials and tools to avoid accidents that may result in lost time injuries. Safety goggles/glasses and safety shoes are required for safety in the production area. Ear protection, gloves, full face hooded air supply respirator, throwaway coveralls and aprons are advisable.
- The employee in this position follows established procedures to perform setups and operate equipment.
- Operator is responsible for the material/product machined from the time of machining until it reaches the next operation. It is the responsibility of the operator to ensure parts are conforming not only to print specifications but visually as well when being sent to the next operation. Errors not caught immediately result in product failure and/or significant customer impact.
What knowledge/skills, education, and experience is required for this position?
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent to a high school education is required.
- 1 + years of experience sharpening tool
- Requires the ability to read, write, complete simple forms, and understand simple written instructions.
- Requires the ability to perform arithmetic skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, including decimals and fractions.
- Experience with set up and operation of multiple machines in a shop environment.
What additional knowledge/skills, education and experience would be beneficial for this position?
- Experience with CNC and / or Manual Machines, 2 years’ experience in a machine shop is preferred.
- Experience with the use of formulas, charts, tables, drawings, specifications, schedules, or diagrams.
Job ID: 180669
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Early Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.