Are you ready to make a difference and create the future of automation?
We are looking for a motivated R&D Engineer who would like to be part of a dynamic team in Berkeley, California.
Siemens Corporate Technology is seeking a new member for its “Advanced Manufacturing Automation” Research Group in Berkeley, California. In this group, we shape innovation towards the manufacturing world of the future in collaboration with prominent university labs, technology startups, and government agencies. We are a team of automation-enthusiasts, innovators, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise, passionate about disruptive technologies in the areas of Automation, Robotics, Machine Learning, Simulation and Control. Our research outputs enable the successful transformation of the technology trends in Automation & Control into the business of the future for a multitude of customer products and services.
What are my responsibilities?
- Manage and Execute R&D projects, including definition and execution of the technology strategy;
- Co-develop the automation systems of the future with top academic partners;
- Provide technical supervision of internal and external contributors to achieve project goals;
- Assess and manage risk factors of a project, anticipating potential problems and demonstrating reasoning skills as well as creative, innovative and resourceful approaches to developing solutions to complex problems;
- Scout and evaluate new automation & control technologies for Siemens Business Units in collaboration with leading academic institutions and government agencies;
- Seek advocacy from appropriate Siemens Business Units on potential use cases;
- Educate and transfer technologies to Siemens Business Units for product development;
- Collaborate with internal and external contributors to develop successful research proposals for external funding aligned with Siemens’ strategic direction;
- Assist in project acquisition and project funding.
What skills are needed to qualify for the job?
- MSc in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar with at least 4 years of relevant experience;
- Expertise in industrial IoT connectivity frameworks, such as DDS and OPC-UA;
- Expertise in OS-level virtualization and management of containerized applications;
- Proven experience analyzing, designing, executing, modifying, and implementing research projects;
- Experience programming robust, safety-critical and efficient code in C++;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English;
- Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams.
What skills/experience are preferred?
- Programming experience in Python, Java, MATLAB and other languages;
- Knowledge and experience with Siemens products;
- Experience with ROS;
- Experience working with National Labs and/or Government Agencies;
- Track record of preparing and winning government proposals.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#
Job ID: 181092
Organization: Corporate Technology
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Early Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.