Are you ready to take ownership of your career at a company responsible for making people’s lives better by creating and harnessing energy, making the home and workplace more comfortable, safe, healthy, productive and sustainable; while embracing the digital transformation of industry, all in an employee friendly atmosphere?
The Mechanical Equipment and Subcontracting Commodity Manager (CM) will manage all aspects of the supply base within the assigned commodities. The CM will work with the project business organization to drive savings within the assigned categories. The CM will be capable of managing multiple priorities, deadlines and projects. The successful CM will develop relationships with internal stakeholders and become a valued partner in the sourcing process.
This position is based in the Buffalo Grove, Illinois office and reports to the Head of Commodity Management in Procurement Department of Smart Infrastructure, Regional Solutions and Service. This position is an individual contributor.
Assigned Commodity: Commodities managed are Mechanical Equipment and Mechanical Contractors. Equipment includes Chillers, Boilers, Air Handlers, VAV Boxes, Control Valves, Actuators, Variable Speed Drives.
Commodity Strategies: Develop commodity strategies for assigned spend groups of Field Direct Materials including analyzing and developing sourcing strategies; spend compliance and vendor rationalization strategies for these commodities.
Supplier Relationship Management: Manage relationship with all assigned suppliers. Relationship includes negotiating pricing, monitoring performance to agreed terms and conditions, and new vendor on boarding when necessary. Collaborate with key suppliers to expand knowledge of category, and identify opportunities for improvements resulting in a joint benefit to the company and supplier. Leverage supplier expertise and/or technology in an effort to harness improvements in reducing total costs. Collaborate with global commodity management and/or Product Management while optimizing company-wide buying power by reviewing the financial, quality, pricing, service, and availability level of suppliers.
Contractual Agreements: Develop and negotiate contractual agreements to provide price protection and supply security in consultation with legal, business and technical functions. Execute requirements per terms of the agreements.
Specification Review: Review project specific product specifications to determine alternate supplier material to introduce enhanced competition. Ability to engage in technical discussions with internal and external partners on assigned commodities. Able to analyze and propose design to cost opportunities and manage through to completion.
Supplier Quality: Engage suppliers in an effort to provide long term solutions to quality issues. Develop and lead quality agreement negotiations. Provide recommendations specific to the category being sourced. Coordinate cross functional and business discussions to drive continuous improvement opportunities throughout the organization. Monitor quality and delivery performance of key suppliers.
Risk Management: Develop supplier relationships resulting in optimized supply chain efficiencies and security of supply. Evaluate supplier's capabilities and capacities while implementing plans to ensure adequate supply of goods and services. Negotiate agreements with suppliers that mitigate or spread the overall risk.
Early Supplier Involvement: Implementing the procurement aspects of the Siemens Product Lifecycle Process for new product development as needed. Involve the supply base knowledge at an early stage in order to optimize the quality, manufacturability and cost position on new products.
planning tools and management reports in conjunction with Product Management
(where applicable) that provide a more systematic and organized approach to
planning the procurement functions.
• Ensure purchasing database integrity including Supplier files.
• Keep current on developments in area of expertise and company purchasing resources, systems, and procedures.
• Ability to work individually and within a team environment with Product Management, Product Engineering, Operations, Commodity Managers, Quality Engineers, Accounting, Suppliers and other functional departments.
Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience:
- Supply Chain or Mechanical Engineering experience - 5 years
- HVAC System knowledge and experience - 5 years or demonstrated experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with inter and intra departmental personnel, as well as management
- Strong computer skills including Excel, PowerPoint
- Successful experiences in negotiating with senior level managers
- Demonstrated understanding of entire supply chain and cost drivers
- Demonstrated data and financial analysis capability
- Cross functional/organizational project management and facilitation skills (internal and external)
- Demonstrated self-starter
- 5% travel required
- Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience
- Experience in Siemens business systems
- CPM, CPSM certification a strong plus
- Mechanical Engineering Degree
- Experience with electronic purchasing tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of category management concept or strategic sourcing concepts
- Solid continuous improvement skills
Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI) is shaping the market for intelligent, adaptive infrastructure for today and the future. It addresses the pressing challenges of urbanization and climate change by connecting energy systems, buildings and industries. SI provides customers with a comprehensive end-to-end portfolio from a single source – with products, systems, solutions and services from the point of power generation all the way to consumption. With an increasingly digitalized ecosystem, it helps customers thrive and communities progress while contributing toward protecting the planet. SI creates environments that care. Siemens Smart Infrastructure has its global headquarters in Zug, Switzerland, and has around 71,000 employees worldwide.
Job ID: 181162
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.