Explosive growth in the Rail industry requires a hands-on mechanical engineer to provide technical expertise for our Traction Drives business in Alpharetta, GA & we'd love to have you join our team!
You will utilize your mechanical and manufacturing background to drive projects for the locomotive industry. Here, we perform independent quality control checks and assess the design for manufacturability of rail gearbox /motor products to ensure compatibility with the US supply base and local capabilities.
This Mechanical Engineer for Rail Products will be an integral part of driving the successful introduction and ongoing production for rail gearbox and motor manufacturing within Siemens Mobility Traction Drives in our Alpharetta, GA facility. This role will work collaboratively across Traction Rail both within the U.S. and globally to drive localization projects for international designs, provide gearbox / motor engineering expertise, and optimize manufacturing activities.
Ideally, you will have a mechanical engineering background, with hands-on motor and gearbox experience, and a successful track record of supporting product development from the development phase through to manufacturing. This position will act as an interface between the engineering headquarters in Germany and the local operational team to ensure successful designs for the US market.
Within this role, you will be responsible for leading all aspects of all local aspects of gearbox / motor production and engineering. Specific activities include, but are not limited to:
- Drive production application engineering including: bills of material, assembly methods, special tooling requirements
- Analyze product specifications, and clarify product requirements and manufacturing aspects with accountable R&D, Engineering and/or Product Management
- Assist in supplier selection, supplier validation and support of supplier qualification on a technical level
- Lead local engineering efforts through Teamcenter and SAP
- Provide support regarding potential failure modes and effects analysis
- Drive continuous improvement via technical improvements, cost reduction, and lean process implementation
- Perform technical project manager duties for a variety of assigned projects
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of five years related work experience
- Willing to travel domestic as well as international (approx. 10%)
- Hands on experience with hand tools and gearbox / motor assembly (theory, design, and manufacturing)
- Experience writing and editing requirement documents, design documents, test plans, installation manuals, and work instructions
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- 2D and 3D design program experience (NX preferred)
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Design for manufacturing (DFM) and failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA)
- Knowledge of the locomotive and rail market in the United States
- Experience in project engineering
Experience working on international teams or in an international environment. Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Job ID: 182017
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.