Transformer Service Crew Leader (“CL”) is a working field service supervisor responsible for assignment of tasks, work environment, safety, and the overall performance of crew and contractors on field projects. The CL is the primary expert in assembly, service and repair of transformers, The CL and crew may be assigned other work individually or as part of a larger electrical substation or power plant environment. The CL is responsible for the successful execution of projects and supervising, both technically and administratively their crew members and assigned contractor(s). The CL is expected to take decisive and/or corrective action for the well-being of the crew, environment, project, equipment, customer and/or the organization as a whole.
In this hands-on role, you will report to the National Resource Manager, (“NRM”) and is expected to have effective communication with management staff throughout active projects, when awaiting assignment, or stand-by time. You will be responsible for company assets including the maintenance, safe operation & condition of equipment/vehicles, (assigned, rented, loaned or leased) and the contents (tools or accessories).
This position requires extensive travel and non-standard schedules at field locations with exposure to varying environmental conditions. Travel expectations up to 85%.
Duties / Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
The CL is responsible for
- following and enforcing Siemens Environmental Health & Safety policies with CL assigned crew
- monitoring and maintaining tools, equipment, and company vehicles
- vendors/sub-contractors assigned to their crew to perform duties in accordance with local, customer, industry, corporate laws, regulations and standards
On-time and within budget performance of assigned projects. CL is responsible to obtain budget parameters of assigned projects:
- including scope of work, hours/days budgeted, allowed expenses and anticipated vendor/subcontractor delivery requirements
- coordination/assignment of crew members, including lodging and travel, with Project Manager (PM) and/or NRM
- coordination of heavy equipment, tankers, test equipment and various vendors services
- ensure vehicles, tools, equipment and materials are in safe operating order and perform daily, weekly, monthly, and annual maintenance service records, as well as inventory, and corrective repairs with his/her crew
- Maintain effective communication with site contact for coordination and project management including: daily updates, written and/or verbal, with NRM/PM, including project changes, safety reviews (i.e. tailgate meetings), safety incidents (near misses, safety violations, environmental incidents, and security incidents), work scope changes or delays, etc.
- Ensure crew members report work time and expenses daily or weekly utilizing on-line tools, (i.e. SPGI, EZ-X, Concur, etc.)
- Perform periodic technical and performance evaluations of crew members utilizing spot reports, annual review, and technical evaluation forms. This may include on-the-spot corrective actions of assigned crew members
- Demonstrate senior level proficiency in all other job classifications, (i.e. Tech Asst, Tech 2, Tech1)
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
Skills and Tools
- Must have high level field supervisory skills not only to supervise the crew members and subcontractors as assigned, but to provide a healthy and environmentally friendly work environment, including documented experience in supervising crews
- Must be able to facilitate training of new crew members as well as continued training and growth of all crew members
- Must be able to multi-task; (managing project site, working with and directing crews, sub-contractors, and vendors while maintaining project documentation and communication with NRM/PM)
- Must be able to provide technical instructions regarding required tasks, safe and correct assembly or maintenance of power and distribution transformers and transformer accessories. This includes interpretation and following work scope, general assembly drawings, electrical prints and one-line diagrams as well as test data and factory instructions and manuals to crew and subcontractors
- Must be able to perform power and distribution transformer testing and receipt inspections, including the completion of Siemens standardized testing and receipt inspection reports as per the standards and assigned processes
- Must be able to perform and direct crew members in the safe and correct operation of transformer oil processing equipment including the performance of vacuum, oil filling, circulating and draining of oil-filled power and distribution transformers, as well as document the process in Siemens standardized forms
- Must have strong commercial and industrial electrical wiring and troubleshooting skills including ability to understand and use electrical prints and one-line diagrams
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, time management, and analytical skills
- Must demonstrate effective collaboration skills working with teams as well as working on an individual level
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Office, Excel, Word and Windows based software as well as online tools as needed
- Will be required to join the IBEW
- Must maintain a Class A CDL (required as described in contract section 9.09, article c) qualifies for a yearly bonus.)
- Must be able to perform electrical testing (Can qualify for an hourly testing incentive as described in contract section 9.18.)
- High School diploma, GED, as well as technical/vocational, or apprenticeship training
- Must possess a minimum of 5+ years of combined field service technical assembly, maintenance, and repair of power and distribution transformers and their accessories in the utility and electrical energy industry
- Documented prior experience, training, and/or education as a field lead, foreman, or supervisor
- Documented on-the-job training for the installation, maintenance, service and repair of LV, MV and HV substation, power plant electrical equipment and specifically power and distribution transformers
- Must display proficiency at other less senior technical levels (i.e. Tech Asst, Tech-02, & Tech-01)
- Special skill set in one or combined Distribution, Power, or Transmission electrical substation equipment in the power ranges of: Low Voltage (4160V – 13kV), Medium Voltage (13kV – 69kV) and High Voltage (69kV – 800 kV) will be highly desired
- Must have effective communications skills and ability to lead experienced staff as well as training of new employees
- Very good time management and analytical skills
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude
- EH&S/OSHA 30, NFPA-70 training required (will be provided)
- Current CPR/First Aid training a plus (will be provided)
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Passport
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid TWIC Card (Transportation Worker Identification Card)
Job ID: 182269
Organization: Gas and Power
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.