A Product Design Engineer (PDE) is an exciting, technically challenging, and rewarding role! A PDE is a trusted technical problem solver with a broad technical background and good communication skills whose contribution can significantly impact the performance of the organization. The PDE is responsible for moderating and optimizing multiple engineering sub-disciplines to find the BEST answer to complex machinery design, performance, and reliability challenges.
The Product Design Engineer has a lead technical role in the flange-to-flange design of engineered-to-order aftermarket turbomachinery equipment including centrifugal compressors, axial compressors, and hot gas expanders. The projects are aftermarket in nature which can add unique challenges/situations requiring substantial creative and technical problem-solving skills to moderate between all product constraints, e.g. product performance, product reliability, cost/time to produce, manufacturability, etc....
The successful candidate will have an interest and competency in machinery design, be a team player, and is expected to assume a leadership role within a collaborative design team including, but not limited to, a technical specialist/layout drafter, detail drafter, packaging engineer, core technology specialist, and service center/factory assembly team, as required.
Equally important to this role, is the growth experience this position offers the successful applicant beyond just the design engineering function. This position offers the applicant the ability to interact with the global Siemens organization and potentially expand their role well beyond product design engineering function to include solution development, technical sales, operations, and have field experiences.
Limited domestic/international travel is required.
· Work safely following all corporate / local procedures and timely completion of all required safety training
· Maintain accurate and organized engineering records
· Follow all processes and obtain necessary approvals where required
· Perform engineering investigation and analysis of various compressor and expander designs to determine feasibility of rerate, revamp, and upgrades that can add performance/reliability capabilities to the machinery and also extend its useful life
· Collaborate with the solution development team in the development of commercial offerings, as required
· Provide necessary engineering to support design and manufacture of replacement machinery, machinery revamps, and machinery upgrades, e.g. compressors, expanders, pumps
· Lead product engineering design coordination, collaboration, and moderation of complex technical matters with stakeholders including: CAD Designers; various Specialist Engineers, e.g. aero/thermo-dynamicists, rotor-dynamicists, metallurgists, solid mechanics analysts, manufacturing engineers, etc; and field service personnel
· Design special tooling/fixtures/components to support routine or special project tasks related to product maintenance and testing
· Perform design analysis and make effective decisions within approved guidelines and established product standards
· Ensure product designs are in accordance with contract requirements for the supply of hardware
· Identify deviations to established standards for management approval
· Participate in coordination, collaboration, and moderation of technical matters with stakeholders from manufacturing and supply chain, e.g. 1) Investigate deviations and provide corrective actions; 2) review and approve first article process qualification reports associated with new processes or suppliers
· Analyze test results (field or factory), to evaluate and determine if thermodynamic performance, design performance, quality, and operating characteristics are compliant with product design
· Participate in and/or conduct process and design FMEA and RCA as a part of cross-functional team, as required
· Provide leadership and technical direction to repair operations in the inspection, repair, overhaul and remanufacturing process on legacy and non-legacy machinery
· Participate in development, implementation, maintenance, and continuous improvement of design tools, product improvements, and engineering standards associated with design, manufacturing, testing, and repair of turbomachinery products
· Other miscellaneous duties to support the product lines success
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Mechanical, Aeronautical/Aerodynamic, or equivalent degrees from an ABET accredited college/university will be considered)
· Working foundational knowledge of these subjects is required: machinery design, rotordynamics, strength-of-materials / solid mechanics, materials-of-construction selection, thermodynamics, aerodynamics, fluid dynamics
· Strong analytical skills and the ability to perform detailed engineering calculations
· High attention to detail.
· Ability to work collaboratively and individually with the same enthusiasm and intensity.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
· Possess and demonstrate a high degree of tact and professionalism; and be capable of interacting with Management, Peers, Shop Personnel, and Clients
· Good organizational and time management skills
· Solid computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power-Point) and basic 2D/3D CAD
· Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally with short notice (estimated 5-15% travel)
· Master’s degree
· High level knowledge of these subjects is desirable: : thermodynamics, aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, rotordynamics, strength-of-materials / solid mechanics, materials-of-construction selection, machinery design.
· Knowledge and understanding of Siemens / Dresser-Rand’s products and services
· Experience working with rotating machinery / turbo-machinery such as centrifugal/radial compressors, axial compressors, expanders
· Possess fundamental knowledge of turbomachinery theory and thorough understanding of standard engineering principles
· Experience working for a major rotating equipment supplier, machinery reliability engineer, and/or EPC
· Experience with machinery design, production, and/or or servicing
· Familiarity and experience with industry standards such as ASME and API
Siemens Gas and Power (GP) is a global pacesetter in energy, helping customers to meet the evolving demands of today’s industries and societies. GP comprises broad competencies across the entire energy value chain and offers a uniquely comprehensive portfolio for utilities, independent power producers, transmission system operators and the oil and gas industry. Products, solutions and services address the extraction, processing and the transport of oil and gas as well as power generation in central and distributed thermal power plants and power transmission in grids. With global headquarters in Houston in the U.S. and more than 64,000 employees in over 80 countries, Siemens Gas and Power has a presence across the globe and is a leading innovator for the energy systems of today and tomorrow, as it has been for more than 150 years.
Job ID: 182803
Organization: Gas and Power
Company: Dresser-Rand Company
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.