Houston Telge office
In this dynamic role, you will responsible for the design of diverse complex control systems for rotating equipment, including but not limited to reciprocating and centrifugal compressors, steam and gas turbines, and aero derivative gas turbines. The design may include auxiliary systems like seal gas and lubrication, process interface, vibration monitoring, fire and gas systems, safety systems, definition of instrumentation, and design of control rooms.
We will need you to make sure that the systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
A thorough understanding of the organization as the role includes multidisciplinary activities, working closely with colleagues around the world and across different functions including Software Engineers, Drafting, Operations, Procurement and other Engineering teams. You will be the main technical interface with the customer, supported by the Project Manager on the commercial and execution side.
You will be essential part of the Controls Engineering team together with the Software Engineers and Drafting and report directly to the Applications Manager.
• Design of rotating equipment control system solutions for new and existing equipment (modifications/upgrades)
• Design and/or understanding of control algorithms for specialized control system functions, like fuel control and anti-surge control.
• Creation of documents which include but are not limited to quality documents, face layout, bill of materials, I/O list, schematic diagrams, terminal block layout, alarm and shutdown matrix, control narrative, loop diagrams, installation and commissioning guide and other contract specific documents.
• Less than 5% travel/year expected.
• 10% availability outside regular work hours, to support customer phone or web meetings, internal or factory acceptance tests.
• Responsible for participating in the following meetings: handover from marketing, customer kickoff and scheduled meetings, hardware design review, handover to manufacturing, software design review, handover to test, in-test design review, final design review and FAT related meetings.
• Coordination with the Drafting team to produce and review the schematics.
• Coordination with the Software team to support the software development and testing.
• Collaboration with the research and development team.
• Support to the GTM (go to market) team in finding the best solution for the customer needs.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical, instrumentation and controls engineering or similar. In lieu of degree, 10+ years of relevant experience and high school diploma/GED, or Associate's.
• Effective communication skills both verbal and written, both 1-1 and group situations.
• 5 years or more experience working on an engineering environment for turbomachinery control systems.
• 5 years or more experience with different controls and process instrumentation systems.
• Ability to understand P&IDs, instrument datasheets and electrical schematics.
• Knowledge of industrial communication protocols including OPC, Modbus, Ethernet, Profibus, etc.
• Familiar with motor driven centrifugal compressors and steam, gas and aero-derivative gas turbines.
• Familiar with generator sets.
• Knowledge of auxiliary systems like lube oil and seal gas.
• Familiar with load sharing control strategy.
• Strong team working skills and creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
• A high level of attention to detail.
• Adaptable to change, able to switch between different control systems designs on different projects.
• Familiar with the NEC, NFPA, ISA, IEC, CSA, UL, ATEX, NEMA and other industry relevant standards and directives.
• Familiar with hazardous area classification.
• Familiar with SIL, safety integrity levels.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
You move to the top of the pack with the following:
• PLC and HMI basic knowledge.
• Rockwell Control Logix, GE Rx3i, Triconex, Siemens S7-400 family.
• Familiar with Dresser-Rand rotating equipment.
• Familiar with motor driven reciprocating compressors.
• Familiar with VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) equipment.
• Familiar with Rolls-Royce aero-derivative equipment.
• Familiar with fire and gas systems.
• Familiar with Bently Nevada, Detronics F&G, Woodward Micronet and CCC.
• For generator sets, steam turbine governor with non-extraction, single or dual extraction.
• Panel design, cable tray, conduit layouts, junction box design, cable sizing and routing.
• Balance of Plant.
• Motor Control Center.
• Battery banks / UPS Systems.
• SIL design engineering, SIL study development, SIL calculations.
Siemens Gas and Power (GP) is a global pacesetter in energy, helping customers to meet the evolving demands of today’s industries and societies. GP comprises broad competencies across the entire energy value chain and offers a uniquely comprehensive portfolio for utilities, independent power producers, transmission system operators and the oil and gas industry. Products, solutions and services address the extraction, processing and the transport of oil and gas as well as power generation in central and distributed thermal power plants and power transmission in grids. With global headquarters in Houston in the U.S. and more than 64,000 employees in over 80 countries, Siemens Gas and Power has a presence across the globe and is a leading innovator for the energy systems of today and tomorrow, as it has been for more than 150 years.
Job ID: 182924
Organization: Gas and Power
Company: Dresser-Rand Company
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.