The Systems Engineer works individually and with a cross –functional team to develop and sustain systems for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) instruments for point of care and laboratory medical testing. These medical devices provide rapid and accurate diagnostic testing for clinical laboratories and point of care clinicians for the diagnosis and monitoring of patients with diabetes, kidney diseases, cardiac conditions, respiratory issues, critical care conditions, and other clinical applications.
- The main objective of this position will be a member of the engineering team that develops a new point of care analyzer as part of a new product development project within R&D
- This role is focused on systems integration – requiring understanding of the functional interfaces in the system as well as the ability to build and execute test protocols to ensure system functionality
- This position will typically be part of a cross functional R&D team that has staff with multiple engineering and science disciplines, collaborating to accomplish complex system objectives.
Responsibilities of the position may include:
- Analyze instrument performance using a variety of commercial and custom tools.
- Work with Instrument Software (Labview or C++/C#/Java etc.) in the creation of experimental builds to support the systems group in integration testing.
- Design, plan and execute laboratory experiments to evaluate feasibility of concepts.
- Solve complex technical issues by troubleshooting, determining root cause, and then proposing design modifications.
- Assist in development of system level control algorithms for optimized operation of the instrument.
- Review test data against established pass criteria.
- Write clear, data-driven technical summaries and test reports.
Undergraduate degree in Physical Science or Engineering (biomedical engineering, chemistry, physics, preferred fields). Ideally with a Minor in Computer Science or related field.
0-5 years in biomedical/medical R & D (industrial or academic)
Understanding of systems architecture and design
Knowledge of Programming tools/IDEs and languages such as VB, C/C++/C#, Java etc.
Experience with Data Analysis tools such as Matlab
Experimental experience is preferred.
Good interpersonal skills
The successful candidate will have a good understanding of engineering fundamentals. He/she will be able to perform systems thinking (big picture view). An understanding of electro-mechanical, precision, software-controlled systems is a plus. The individual must function well both independently and as part of an integrated team. Effective verbal and written communication skills are essential.
Job ID: 183139
Organization: Siemens Healthineers
Company: Siemens Medical Solutions USA, Inc.
Experience Level: Early Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.