Siemens US Talent Acquisition
Strategic Procurement Specialist / Commodity Manager (CM)
SIEMENS Solutions Business (GP SLN SCM) is responsible for the implementation of large projects for the Marine, Fiber and Oil & Gas industries. We are currently looking for a Strategic Procurement Specialist / Commodity Manager with focus in our Oil & Gas business and with specific emphasis on Water Solutions to assist in winning business and executing on time, in budget and with excellent safety and quality.
Water is a resource and a byproduct of all that we do – a critical element in offshore, onshore, upstream and downstream activities. The treatment and management of this water is becoming increasingly complex as you work to keep pace with global standards, energy demand and environmental regulations.
The mission is successful development/execution of the commodity strategy as defined by the key commodity responsibilities and fostering a proactive environment that promotes cross-functional support while driving cost productivity across the company.
For the assigned portfolio of complex and medium volume commodities, the CM Performs the functions of international market analysis, internal SIEMENS demand analysis, global demand pooling, supplier selection, negotiation of price, terms and conditions, to maximize contribution to operating profit and business objectives. Completes supplier analysis in order to acquire the best suppliers and to guarantee an optimum supply chain; assists in the coordination of the annual supplier evaluation process and executes formal supplier development plans. Maintains regular contact with internal/external interface partners to recognize developments and exert influence accordingly. Completes complex reports of defined information and figures to make results transparent and controls purchasing activities on a results-oriented basis. Assists in the development of communication and deployment of procurement strategies
• Define commodity strategies for assigned spend considering the global sourcing strategies but tailoring them to fit the business requirements.
• Supports the Project in Proposal Stage with negotiation strategies as defined by the Project Procurement Manager
• Processes the Purchase Order Requests (PORs) in assigned queue for pricing or Purchase Order issuance in accordance with required strategies.
• Obtain information from suppliers in order to complete supplier setups (SAP, Approved Supplier Database, etc)
• Participates in the Supplier Qualification Process for new suppliers of key major components
• Prepares and conducts negotiations required for issuing Purchase Orders including Advanced Negotiation Concept (i.e. e-sourcing)
• Able to determine when Cost Value Engineering (CVE) and addressing alternate designs present opportunities to design cost out or optimize specifications
• Coordinates with Engineering the evaluation of technical proposals
• Ensures compliance with SIEMENS buying guidelines.
• Ensures that general and project specific terms and conditions and the Quality and Documentation requirements are in RFQ and purchase orders
• Collaborates with Engineering when some of the requirements are missing
• Documents Price Comparison Sheet as justification for decision making.
• Generates Purchase Orders in SAP based on the Requisition and obtains order acknowledgement.
• Identify potential problems and proactively address.
• Understand the contract deliverables and enact plans for delivering them.
• Keep the Project Procurement Manager and key stakeholders informed of any Project Relevant events or changes
• Supports the resolution of Supplier’s Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs)
• Works together with supplier quality manager any poor performance issues from the supplier; Manages suppliers On Time Delivery (OTD).
• Performs Supplier Evaluations and Supplier Development Plans for the assigned commodities, including establishing supplier score cards.
• Support resolutions of GR/IR issues and other exceptions to established rules.
• The CM represents the company as the supplier’s primary point of contact.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Success candidate will have excellent communication skills and a positive outlook toward partnering with suppliers and building relationships while keeping SIEMENS best interest in mind.
• Typically, five (5) to eight (8) years minimum of successful experience in related procurement field
• BS/BA in related discipline or advanced degree.
• Industry knowledge in Oil & Gas Applications, specifically Process Related Industries
• Must understand and be able to discuss project schedules.
• Must be proficient in Excel, Word and Power Point
• Must be able to discuss project financials in detail
• Be able to discuss confrontational issues (ex. claims, delays, etc.) with supplier.
• Work will be based out of Houston, TX -or- Rothschild, WI and candidate will need to travel domestically and abroad.
• Intermittent Travel approximately 10-20% as required for projects.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess some of the following:
• Relevant Water Solutions Business Experience in Biological Treatment, Hydrothermal and Oil/Water Separation Solutions.
• SIEMENS and non-SIEMENS product/project experience for competitive and alternative views.
• Working knowledge of physics, mechanical, electrical and digital disciplines (automation, networks, software systems, etc.)
• Knowledge of Global Suppliers and Components such as: Air Compressors, Pumps (High Pressure Feed, Acid, Scrubber and General), Motors, Reactors, Trim Heaters, Coolers (Process, Effluent), Separators, Scrubbers, Tanks (Sulfuric Acid, Knock-out), Vessels, Carbon Cannisters, Filter Media, Thermal Oxidizers, Integrators / Fabricators, Valves and Instrumentation
• Knowledge of governing specs, codes, certifications and norms for material selection for process industries related to water.
Additional consideration given to candidates who demonstrate
• Experience in Electrical Engineering projects, specifically in the areas of power distribution (Medium Voltage and Low Voltage) and protection, control systems, rotating equipment controls, substations and onshore/offshore packaged designs.
• Understanding of variable frequency drives (AC & DC) and their applications
• Previous experience in technical fields such as Engineering, Field service and/or Commissioning