Design Engineer Job Description
This position is for a design engineer, who works with our local Siemens team to sell, design, install, and service building automation systems. Building automation system consists of electronic digitally communicating Direct Digital Controls for HVAC applications in commercial, institutional, and industrial buildings. The systems are comprised of servers, computers, digital programmable controllers, sensors, and actuators to operate HVAC systems and monitor them. The design engineer works with a team of design engineers under an engineering supervisor to develop designs for projects. Projects are installed by project managers, field electricians and technicians, then turned over to our service team for ongoing support.
· Develops building automation system, DDC, HVAC controls designs.
· Generates drawings, schedules, submittals, plans, and specifications for contract and installation submittal packages to meet project specifications.
· Generates as-built drawings and operation & maintenance manuals for project close-out.
· Analyzes contract documents to develop design documents, selects products to meet design and specification intent.
· Responsible for identifying and resolving constructability and project scope issues.
· Develops initial system database for field installation.
· Responsible for ordering project materials and maintaining project schedule with respect to product availability.
· Supports field installation team with engineering re-designs, phone support, on-site support, construction meetings, etc.
· Supports sales team with project review and scope analysis. Participates in site investigations as necessary.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience
· In depth expertise with HVAC and electrical systems
· Strong knowledge of thermodynamics, heat transfer, electrical and electronic engineering as it applies to HVAC controls & Building Automation Systems
· Working knowledge of network types and protocols
· Thorough knowledge of project construction environment and submittal processes
· Proficiency of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
· Proficiency with Computed Aided Drafting software, in particular AutoCAD is required.
· Proficiency with drafting and engineering drawings standards is required.
· BS/BA or advanced degree in mechanical or electrical engineering is required.
· Demonstrates professional principles and skills.
· Typically up to 4 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of key responsibilities and knowledge as presented above. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.
· Strong communication skills
· Strong self-motivator
Job ID: 185129
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.