The primary responsibilities of the Software Developer will be centered on Siemens Process Safety Consulting’s (SAF) process safety (PS) software portfolio consisting of four (4) primary software applications: PS Pressure Protection Manager (PSPPM), PS Asset Integrity Manager, Oil & Gas Manager (OGM) and PS Change Manager (PSCM). This software portfolio is used by SAF engineering as well as SAF customers around the world. The Software Developer will support existing versions of PS software as well as become an integral part of the SAF R&D team to continue to develop the next generation SAF software portfolio in ever-changing technology and industry landscapes.
The Software Developer will be called upon to perform various tasks related to the support and development of the PS software portfolio. These tasks could include but are not limited to:
- Maintenance & Enhancements - The Software Developer will be expected to be able to perform ongoing maintenance (error corrections or *bug fixes- and technology upgrades), develop enhancements to existing features and development new features based on requirement specifications as determined by SAF Product Management consistent with SAF R&D Product Roadmaps
- Documentation - The Software Developer should be able to assist with design documentation, software product functional requirements documentation (technical specifications) and other software related documentation as necessary
- Technical Support as needed for SAF Software Support and Engineering staff - Customers, including internal users (SAF Engineering) and external users (clients) may require assistance with software related support requests (SRs). In providing support for these SRs, SAF Software Support may from time-to-time require technical support from Software Development for resolution. This responsibility would require the Software Developer to be able to assist, as needed, with customer support calls/web conferences which require advanced technical knowledge of PS portfolio software
- Other Duties as Assigned - The Software Developer may at times be assigned tasks that are within or perhaps even a bit beyond their realm of experience/knowledge but are not specifically stated in this job description. For example, they may be asked to work or assist on a short-term basis—potentially on short notice—with pressing needs related to software and/or client projects.
Development & Coding Standards - The Software Developer will be required to become familiar with and adhere to SAF Software Development’s development and coding guidelines and standards
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- The Software Developer will not be required to supervise or manage other employees; however solid leadership skills/traits are essential for Software Development Leads.
- SQL Server - Minimum of 5 years’ experience with current/relevant versions. Experience migrating data/databases to SQL Server (from MS Access, for example). Experience in designing relational databases, ability to create/modify and use stored procedures, triggers, tables, views, database security, constraints, T-SQL, etc.
- ADO.NET, ASP.NET, IIS
- Experience with web services (SOAP/XML, RESTful) a big plus
- Understanding of software design patterns, layered application architectures
- Software development methodology (SDLC) - Experience working in a development environment that utilizes a formalized approach to software development (e.g. CMM, Waterfall, Agile, Extreme, hybrid, PLM, etc.)
- EAI experience is a plus (e.g. ERP integration such as SAP, Maximo, Meridium, etc.)
- Unit Testing, UML, Test Automation
- Understanding of SOA and microservices a plus
General Experience & Skills
- Prior work experience in the oil & gas, refining, chemical or general energy business sector
- Upstream Engineering and Refinery domain experience in Process Safety Management (PSM) is a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Willingness to take a hands-on approach to work when necessary
- Proven ability to work with cross functional teams
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline intensive environment
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously as necessary
- Excellent people skills - demonstrated ability to work with both technical and non‑technical individuals
- Ability to follow company procedures, directives, and daily disciplines
- Must be a team player
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience (for example BS in Engineering with extensive experience doing the type of work described in this job description and with experience with the software technologies listed above).
- Work Environment & Dress Code - While members of the SAF PS Software Development team have the option, with prior manager approval, to occasionally work remotely, they are expected to work in a corporate office environment located in Houston, TX and dress in casual business attire.
- Travel Requirements - At times, travel to other Siemens offices or to Siemen’s client sites may be required. These would be short‑term assignments (usually not more than one to two weeks at a time). Expected travel percentage is ~10%. Client sites may include petroleum refineries and petrochemical plants which may require the Software Developer to take safety training or submit to drug testing. Work at client site locations is typically in the site’s office environment—the Software Developer should rarely be required to enter the site’s physical plant.
Job ID: 185149
Organization: Gas and Power
Company: Siemens Energy, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.