Job Title: Linux Developer - Embedded Linux Runtime Environment - 185154
Job Location: Canada - ON - Ottawa
Job Category: R&D/Software Engineering
We are looking for a Linux Developer with experience in embedded Linux runtime environment (Debian preferred). The ideal candidate should have recent hands-on development expertise with the major aspects of embedded Linux (embedded HW architectures, the Linux kernel, build environments, etc.). The position involves a significant level of autonomy in which a self-motivated applicant will work independently to develop solutions. The candidate must also be comfortable working in a team environment and working directly with partners and customers. On occasion, travel may be required to meet with community organizations, partners, and customers.
• Implement and maintain a Debian based distribution aimed at Industrial applications.
• Work cross functionality across multiple groups, geographies and timezones.
• Port the Linux kernel to new boards and uprev BSPs to new kernel versions
• Work with customers directly to get issues localized and resolved
• Design and implement services built upon software products, open source components, and/or custom platforms
• Create functional design specifications and other project documentation. Review internal and external product documentation and provide appropriate input to other parties involved in various projects
• Track main open source community efforts and specific projects that potential customer engagements may rely upon.
• Become an authoritative voice on those topics.
• Participate in the community and upstream relevant work.
Applicant should possess at least a Bachelor degree in Electrical/Computer/Software engineering, Computer Science or equivalent. Applicant must have at least 5 years of experience developing software for Linux systems (opportunities exists also for those having more or less experience, but at least 2 years).
Applicant must have significant experience in custom Linux distribution development and one or more of the following:
• Experience with Debian Linux. Including packages, distribution, build environment and integration.
• Real-Time Linux
• Security methods and frameworks in Linux
• Linux kernel and kernel module development
• Linux driver development (e.g. usb, block, character, wireless, network stack)
• Linux kernel debugging skills (e.g. kgdb, lttng, systemtap, jtag, etc.)
• Embedded/custom Linux distribution development/management
• Cross-compiling & porting (e.g. make, autoconf)
In addition to above, applicant should possess several of the following:
• Fluent in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, Bash)
• Experience in version control tools like GIT
• Experience in Linux build systems: Openembedded, Yocto (Poky), Debuild, etc
• Knowledge of Linux userspace environments
• Strong English communication
• Ability to work effectively within a fast-paced multi-national engineering environment
• Experience with x86_64 and/or ARM/ARM64 architectures
• Experience with boot-time optimization
• Experience in usage of debugging targets JTAG, BDI
• IoT experience including cloud interaction
• Customer facing experience
Job ID: 185154
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Mentor Graphics (Canada) ULC
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Siemens is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Siemens Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
By submitting personal information to Siemens Canada Limited or its affiliates, service providers and agents, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in our Privacy Code available at www.siemens.ca.
Siemens s’engage à créer un environnement diversifié et est fière d’être un employeur souscrivant au principe de l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi. Tous les candidats qualifiés seront pris en considération pour ce poste.
En transmettant des renseignements personnels à Siemens Canada limitée ou à ses sociétés affiliées, à ses fournisseurs de services ou à ses agents, vous nous autorisez à recueillir, à utiliser et à divulguer ces renseignements aux fins prévues dans notre Code de protection de la confidentialité, que vous pouvez consulter au www.siemens.ca.