The Digital Grid Energy Automation Systems group located in Raleigh, NC is looking for a Substation Protection Engineer to support Siemens customers in the development, implementation, configuration, testing and commissioning of substation automation systems and applications that incorporate Siemens or other vendors protection relays.
The engineer will also develop new application solutions with IEC61850 and other protocols to provide technical support on Siemens supplied automation and protection systems.
Specific Job Responsibilities
· Design Logic Diagrams for protection and control schemes
· Prepare (FAT) Factory Acceptance Test Procedures for projects
· Design and define requirements for testing enviroments for Factory Acceptance Tests with Customers
· Prepare Test Set (Omicron, Doble, etc...) routines for various protection applications
· Configure and test relays for controls and protection schemes of High,Medium and Low Voltage Substations Systems as well as Generation Stations
· Design, development, implementation, testing, and commissioning of protection and control applications and schemes
· Interface with customers, including trouble shooting and commissioning support
· Provide technical back-office support for the sales/proposal organization
· The candidate will be required to travel to project sites
· Travel Time expected to be around 75%
· BS degree in Electrical Engineering
· Minimum six years experience in the Protection engineering field, including applied knowledge of;
o ◦Line Transmission and Distribution protection (including tele protection schemes, auto reclose on mono or tri pole schemes)
o ◦Busbar protection (high impedance and low impedance on centralized and decentralized schemes)
o ◦Transformer protection (including multi winding transformers, differential and restricted earth fault protection)
o ◦Generator protection for small, medium and large generators (including protection settings calculation)
o ◦Breaker Failure protection (single bus, double bus, double + transfer bus, ring bus, breaker and half schemes, etc …)
o ◦Capacitor Bank protection for medium and large banks
o ◦Medium Voltage protection schemes (including design of transfer schemes and reverse interlocking schemes)
· Applied knowledge of transmission and distribution numerical relay and protection; capable of designing and specifying them; capable of approving and supervising the designs of other engineers.
· Design of electrical schematics (AC/DC for control and protection), one and three line diagrams, mechanical layout, BoM, wiring diagrams, etc. for substations up to 500kV
· Development of protection schemes and logic diagrams based on technical drawings
· Solid knowledge of the following vendors' relay products and associated software packages: Siemens/GE/SEL/Bechwith/ABB
· Applied knowledge of;
o ◦Communication Network Technologies, including Design, Configuration, and troubleshooting
o ◦Communication protocols such as IEC61850, DNP, Modbus and Profibus
· Demonstrated good verbal and written communication skills
· Adept with Microsoft Office Applications
· Project Execution experience
· Protection Panel Test experience
· Control and Protection commissioning experience
· Knowledge on Microsoft Office Applications
· C Programming Language experience.
• Knowledge of IEC standards.
• Professional Engineer license
• Drafting abilities using AutoCAD
• Microsoft Project
• Project Execution experience
• Team Lead/Project Lead experience
Job ID: 185648
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.