This role is for a Senior Network Architect, capable of technically leading and assisting the development of network designs for various railway and windfarm projects. The role will involve delivering network solution based on project requirements, focusing on that project’s connectivity and cyber-security requirements along with the performance characteristics of the industrial systems.
The jobholder will be capable of building and maintain strong communication links with the customers’ telecoms specialists and delivery partners, with the Systems Engineering group and the project delivery teams, and will be capable of interpreting and influencing the delivery strategy, based on the needs of these stakeholders.
Success in the role will be measured primarily by the on-time within budget delivery of allocated tasks as agreed with the Network Design Manager and the Project and customer sign off of all design deliverables.
This role will help play a major part in delivering communications, control and information systems necessary as the business demands.
The Jobholder will play a key role in a fast-growing network department and evolving industry.
What are my responsibilities?
The Senior Network Architect will be expected to provide technical leadership for their allocated tasks. The role includes responsibilities for the following Network Design activities as assigned by the Projects:
- Production of network architectural design description documents
- Production of network architecture diagrams
- Production of low-level network design and configuration
- Production of IP Addressing/Subnetting design
- Managing customer requirement and produce system requirements and proposals
- Development of bid and proposal including pricing and presentation of the solution to managers and customer
- Presenting the network design architecture to the project and the customer
- Development of associated test specifications
- Support for onsite build and test
- Support for integration and system testing
- Provide technical support and mentorship to team members
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Graduate in relevant engineering discipline or other numerate subject or equivalent experience (essential)
- A demonstrable broad experience of Network Communication Systems and Architectures especially LAN/WAN architectures and network security (essential)
- Experience of producing formally documented network designs and interface documents (essential)
- Knowledge and experience of configuration management and control practices (essential)
- Knowledge of the systems engineering life-cycle, cost awareness and awareness of processes involved in other engineering disciplines (essential)
- Experience of working to industry quality and safety standards (essential)
- Experience in operational telecommunication or industrial environment
- Ability to present design ideas and concepts to influence customer and supplier opinion (essential)
- Motivated, dependable and self-reliant (essential)
- Able to work to tight timescales (essential)
- Willingness to work on-site nationally (essential)
- Experience in providing technical leadership in demanding safety critical environments
- Experience in at least two of the following network designs: industrial control networks (IEC 61850); station or campus network for voice, video and critical data; service provider network (MPLS, IS-IS); data centre network; software defined networking (essential)
- Experience in at least three of the following security technologies: firewalling (Cisco/Juniper/Palo Alto), IDS/IPS, SIEM, Access Control, VPN, Antivirus and antimalware software (essential)
- Knowledge of at least one of the following technologies: Voice over IP/Unified Communication, server and virtualization, network automation (desirable)
- Experience in troubleshooting and third line support
- Experience of network testing against RFCs, traffic profiles and interface specifications
- Knowledge of railway systems
- Systems Engineering experience
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and overtime. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA
, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.