The mission of this Data Scientist role is to develop data service solutions to support the operation and maintenance of the UK Siemens Mobility RS train fleets, primarily the UK Desiro Classic and Desiro City fleets. These solutions play a pivotal part in supporting technical, performance and service management of the fleet.
The Data Scientist will work in close collaboration with stakeholders across UK fleet locations to identify requirements, build prototypes, deliver reliable applications and provide service support along-side the RS Digital team.
The train diagnostics focus of this role requires an ability to understand the train’s data generating source systems in detail. Success in developing high-value services depends on collaboration with domain experts across a range of functions and locations.
A significant part of the solutions portfolio will be delivered via Business Intelligence tools including Spotfire and Grafana. Depending on customer requirements, the Data Scientist will also work with the wider Digital team to develop analytics solution pipelines on the Siemens Mobility AWS-based platform.
What are my responsibilities?
· Identify support requirements and business opportunities with internal and external customers
· Define customer requirements
· Perform iterative analyses to discover contextual information and test ideas
· Define solutions
· Communicate requirements to stakeholders
· Define an appropriate development plan
· Apply domain expertise, data wrangling, data transformation, analytics and visualisation skills to turn data into information for the customer
· Develop prototype visualisations and user-interfaces
· Maintain solutions in a controlled configuration management environment in order to ensure their availability and traceability
· Ensure the solution is documented to an appropriate level and lead the hand-over to operations
· Ensure more efficient and effective ways to evaluate and visualize data
· Work backwards from customer requirements to lead the development of required platform components
· Work with users to ensure that their ongoing requirements are understood and met
· Assist users in developing their own skills in data analytics and reporting
· Assist with and facilitate use of solutions by the intended users
· Work with colleagues and external agencies who are supporting systems for the wider Siemens Mobility UK rail fleets
· Assist with data exchange between systems to support the data analytics requirements of the business
· Continuously develop expertise in various data science subjects, tools and techniques. Be a recognised authority on data visualisation tools and methods
· Communicate value of data science and relevant knowledge to senior stakeholders and within the wider organisation
· Develop best practices to apply data science techniques
What do I need to qualify?
· Degree level knowledge in data analysis
· A background in Engineering, preferably in the Rolling Stock industry
· Working knowledge and experience in visualisation tools such as Spotfire, Tableau, Grafana
· Experience developing in Python or similar
· Experience developing on an AWS environment
· Working knowledge of statistical methods
· Experience in delivering data services in a complex business environment
· Project management skills: an ability to turn complex requirements into a technical development plan
· Excellent collaboration and influencing
· An ability to communicate a complex subject in a readily understandable form
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 348,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and overtime. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Job ID: 187608
Company: next47 Fund 2018, L.P.
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time