An exciting and rewarding opportunity has become available in the Siemens Rolling Stock division for a Technical Engineer with experience in mechanical underframe systems including bogies and wheelsets. Reporting to the Technical Manager, you will provide technical engineering capability at the local depot level, working as part of the TRSP Technical Team supporting development of maintenance optimisation, reliability improvement and resolving technical and safety issues on the Desiro City platform. Working closely with the Performance Team, you will monitor and understand issues affecting the safety, reliability, maintainability and availability of the fleet and progress activities to resolve them, generating solutions for identified technical issues and customer variation enquiries.
This is a permanent, full time role and can be based out of one of our Thameslink depots, Three Bridges in Crawley or Hornsey, North London.
What are my responsibilities within this role?
- Providing up to date maintenance instructions by responding to technical documentation enquiries
- Providing technical guidance to the depot production teams as well as mentoring and coaching Technicians
- Completing engineering issues and tasks allocated through the Technical Issues Database. Support discussions with suppliers as required to exchange technical failure information and potential solutions
- Develop and document solutions to address and improve safety, reliability and availability
- Develop solutions to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of maintenance via review and update of Vehicle Maintenance Instructions (VMIs) and Procedures (VMPs)
- Develop cost effective solutions in line with relevant national and railway industry safety standards
- Support the production of change control documentation for trials and modifications to implement solutions and eradicate technical problems identified
- Liaise with production to feedback and cascade knowledge to the production teams
- Liaise with the training department to develop training material and deliver training where applicable.
- Assist other team members with the development of technical skills through coaching
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
Siemens has zero tolerance for unsafe ways of working and as an employee in Siemens, you will:
- Adhere to Siemens safety systems and controls in line with Rail Systems HSQE Company policies
- Take responsibility for raising issues of concern
- Fully participate and engage in our behavioural safety agenda to ensure we work safely
- Take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions that may have an environmental impact
What do I need to qualify for the role?
- Experience in rolling stock mechanical underframe systems including bogies and wheelsets
- ONC/HNC qualification in electrical or mechanical engineering or equivalent experience in a railway/rolling stock environment.
- Good knowledge of IT systems and software
- Reading mechanical and electrical drawings, systematic fault finding and problem identification
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Knowledge of railway maintenance techniques and procedures
- Ability to analyse train borne event and fault diagnostic systems
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 348,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and overtime. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Job ID: 190479
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time