We are looking for a Safety Certification Manager Locomotives, Passenger Cars and Trainsets manages the delivery of safe and compliant rolling stock to our customers.
Demonstrates and applies a broad knowledge of specialized field through successful completion of complex assignments. Successfully applies complex knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of particular areas of specialization. Demonstrates knowledge of organization's business practices and issues. Typically, 5-8 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented below. Advanced degree may be substituted for experience, where applicable.
This position reports to the Vice President of Coaches and Trainsets and is located in Sacramento, California.
• Ensures that each project provides the required submittals to Siemens customers and the Federal Railroad Association (FRA) and/or Transport Canada (TC) in order to operate the product on designated rail corridors by completing the following:
o Obtain safety certification: The final step in the safety certification process which enables the railroad/operator and track owner to ensure safe operation of the rolling stock.
o Develop the System Safety Program Plan (SSPP) which describes the approach to safety certification for the project and obtain approval from the customers for the SSPP.
o Implement the SSPP and manage all submittals of the project safety documentation together with the Siemens safety engineers and/or third parties, i.e. Hazard Analysis, Hazard Tracking Log, FMECAs and associated supporting documentation.
o Provide the required submittals to the customers and the FRA or TC during the design, verification and validation process of the product to demonstrate compliance with all relevant Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), TC, APTA, AAR and other regulatory requirements.
o Complete the vehicle/track system qualification (running dynamics) in the testing phase to demonstrate that the rolling stock complies with the 49CFR213.345 and 49CFR213.333 requirements.
• Submits regular reports to management on the progress of safety certification and is responsible for product safety audits.
• Cooperates throughout the project with the Siemens Project Manager (PM), the Siemens Safety Engineer, Siemens engineering and testing colleagues, third parties working for Siemens, the client’s PM, the client’s Safety Department, the FRA and/or TC and the respective consultants which are involved in the project.
• Ensures efficient identification, compilation, control and management of demonstration of compliance with all safety certification and regulatory requirements.
• Controls and coordinates all safety certification activities from the outset and throughout the execution of the project while ensuring minimal impact on the project schedule (e.g. timely assessment and implementation of requirements within the project).
• Communicates vital information between departments and data management systems.
• Supports and guides the Siemens engineering and project management teams regarding compliance with regulatory requirements.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Required Education: Bachelor’s in Engineering or related discipline.
• Required Experience: 5 years of experience in the rail industry.
• Required Travel: Experience and proficiency in domestic and global travel.
• Other Requirements:
o A team player with good negotiation skills.
o Experience interacting with customers and consultants.
o Excellent communication skills in English.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Preferred Education: Master’s in Engineering or related discipline.
• Professional experience regarding product safety.
• Presentation skills and abilities to lead meetings.
• Should be able to define technical requirements and communicate them in a proper manner to the client and the internal engineering department.
• Project Management certification is a plus.
• Basic understanding of German would help for certain aspects, however is not required.
Job ID: 190718
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.