Believe there’s more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We think our apprenticeship programmes are the best alternative to university for ambitious students. Especially as you’ll gain qualifications and the reputation that comes with working for a prestigious engineering brand like Siemens.
This is a rare opportunity to earn money while showing your potential to a global innovator. Here at Siemens we build a better world using greener, cutting-edge software and ingenious inventions.
Siemens in Handforth is responsible for the repair and refurbishment of motors and spindles used in a range of applications. Spindles are used to link motors to the part the motor rotates such as a machine tool used to produce products for the aerospace industry or automotive industry. The motors we refurbish can be used to drive trains or conveyor belts in industrial applications.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference and are excited about the prospect of learning new skills, taking on extra responsibilities and acting as if Siemens was their own business.
This apprenticeship programme lasts for 4 years, during which time you will gain the necessary skills to ensure you are a fully productive member of the team, working safely to repair spindles for our customers while also promoting new digital technologies and how they can be used to improve our processes as well as contribute for our customers.
Here is what you can make a difference in:
- Interpreting engineering drawings and analysing used workpieces to understand what work is required to refurbish them.
- Using workshop equipment such as lathes, milling machines, pillar drills, grinders etc to perform the necessary repair work.
- Perform quality checks and assessments to ensure that the spindles are ready for shipping to customers.
- Prepare method statements and risk assessments to ensure all work is done safely and in line with our Zero Harm value.
Your learning journey begins here:
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported. During this apprenticeship, we will support you to study towards a Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering, following that you will work towards an HND Electrical & Electronic Engineering on a day release basis. Finally, there is the potential we will move you onto a degree apprenticeship which will be a BEng (Hons) in Automation & Control – A new and unique top-up degree solution delivered in conjunction with the University of Salford that includes our own Siemens Certified PLC Programmer.
We are looking for bright, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- Passionate about technology and always keen to learn new skills.
- You are organised and happy to be challenged and stretched.
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible.
- Be excited by the prospect of working for the Siemens Digital Industry Division, with our product portfolio and in our customers’ industries.
Minimum educational requirements:
You will have achieved or be on track to achieve two A Levels at Grades A*-C or equivalent (at least one must be Maths or Physics).
We also welcome applications from those with a BTEC Level 3 certificate in Electrical/Electronic Engineering with at least a DDM grading.
The benefits of an apprenticeship:
- Continue your learning beyond college/school and have your degree paid for all whilst earning a salary and an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
Throughout the apprenticeship there will be the requirement of overtime as well as travel to Siemens and Customer locations within the UK and potentially travel outside of the UK. At times this can be at short notice but mostly is able to be arranged around personal commitments.
This apprenticeship scheme is recognised by the IMechE and the IET and leads to professional registration (EngTech/IEng) with the Engineering Council UK. Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity in the workplace and is a corporate member of WISE (Women in Science, technology and Engineering), and a signatory to the WISE Ten Steps campaign.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Job ID: 191358
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens plc
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time