Believe theres more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are the best alternative to college for ambitious and hard-working students.
Here at Siemens we build a better world using greener energy, cutting-edge software and ingenious inventions. Siemens is a global technology and engineering powerhouse, committed to developing and producing the most advanced and innovative engineering technologies, the impact we make – from rail systems and renewable energy, to factory automation and medical imaging technology – shapes industries, cities and countries across the globe!
In Siemens Mobility, we have an opportunity within our Rolling Stock business which will allow you to earn money whilst showing your potential to work on real life rail projects. Siemens will support you on a guided learning journey and you'll get the chance to work with companies across the rail industry to make their assets smarter, more sustainable and more attractive.
Reporting to the Production Team Leader (or respective departmental lead) – a Mechanical Apprentice (with the support & guidance of the experienced experts in your team) ensures that rail products and solutions are disassembled, assessed and built efficiently, safely, at the right cost and to the right level of quality in order to meet customer order requirements.
Here is how the programme works:
Year 1: You will spend most of your first year at a college nominated by Siemens located in the Leeds area, developing the core knowledge and skills which are the foundations for many aspects of our engineering expertise. As well as assisting & getting an insight to production in the out of term periods.
Year 2: After the first year, you will formally join the Rolling Stock Components business located in Leeds and will become part of the production team contributing to our rail projects whilst also continuing college on a day release basis.
Year 3 or 4: In your 3rd or 4th year, it is expected that the Rolling Stock Components business in Leeds will be relocated to the new state of the art facility & campus in Goole where you will serve out the remainder of your apprenticeship.
Additionally, you will attend a programme of rail specific training spread over the 3 years with some travel away from your main working location expected.
Here is what you can make a difference in:
- Overhauling, root cause analysing & repairing of traction drive systems in line with order instructions requirements, to meet customer expectations & industry standards alike
- Disassembly/reassembly of sub-systems striving for maximum productivity and efficient capacity balancing
- Mechanical investigation of rotating equipment (gearboxes & motors)
- Implementation & execution of quality checks to industry standards
- Mechanical and electrical inspection of components
- Failure and root cause investigation including vibration, temperature & electrical data analysis
- Setup and operation of advance test equipment
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
- You will have strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- You will have organisational and time management skills and enjoy working collaboratively with excellent team-working skills
- Good IT skills and experience using the Microsoft Office Package.
Minimum educational requirements:
You will have achieved or be on track to achieve at least 5 GCSEs including Maths and English Language at grade 4 (C) or higher.
The benefits of becoming a Siemens apprentice:
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the forefront of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else you need to know:
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of Rail & Mobility. Think this is you? Apply now! Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Job ID: 191971
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time