Chief Engineer in New Product Development
The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Design Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
The Chief Engineer in New Product Development is the technical leader of an instrument development and is responsible for ensuring that the instrument as designed satisfies the value proposition; Instrument Quality, Instrument Cost, and Time to Market. The Chief Engineer position is open in Tarrytown, NY. Instrument development teams are located at three sites: Tarrytown (headquarters), Newark, Delaware and Flanders, New Jersey. The Chief Engineer will oversee instrument development among the three sites and there is an expectation of travel up to 25% to these two other sites. The position reports to the lead Chief Engineer within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).
- Ensures that the instrument definition (inclusive of requirements, architecture, and interfaces) is appropriate for the intended instrument
- Leads the technical design of the instrument, manages the development process and coordinates with Supply Chain Management to take the instrument into production.
- Ensures instrument development team uses all levers possible to meet the Time to Market target but not at the expense of Instrument Quality or Instrument Cost
- Leads definition of the instrument development strategy with support of the Hardware Integrator, Lead System Integrator, System Architect, Software Lead and Global Assay Development Lead
- Manages the instrument work item backlog; Works closely with the Core Team Lead/Sub-System Leads/Lead System Integrator/Hardware Integrator/System Architect/Software Lead/Assay Development Lead to ensure that the instrument work item backlogs are clearly expressed, properly ordered to achieve the goals, visible, and are tracked for closure
- Owns the instrument Technical Risk Register
- Final instrument project decision maker for go, no-go, redirect for knowledge gap closure, feasibility closure, Technical Reviews and Design Reviews
- Co-owns the definition of the instrument integration strategy with the Lead System Integrator, Hardware Integrator, System Architect, Software Lead and Assay Development Lead
- Co-owns the definition of the instrument characterization and verification strategy with the Sub-System Leads and Lead System Integrator
- Co-owns definition of the instrument design transfer strategy with the Supply Chain Management lead
- B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical, Chemical, Systems, etc.) is required
- Minimum of 5 years of cross-functional new product development team leadership experience
- Skilled in systems engineering thinking with a broad range of knowledge and experience in all phases of new product development: systems requirements, translation to sub-system technical requirements, feasibility, concept selection, detailed design, integration, characterization, verification, validation, design transfer and commercialization
- FMEA and Root Cause Analysis/Investigation
- Strong grasp of design engineering with expertise in one of the following: mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems or thermal controls.
- Experience providing direction and technical guidance to a team of engineers and biochemists
- Experienced in aspects of Agile framework and SCRUM
- Clear thinker and influencer
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Desired Education, Experience, and Knowledge/Skills
- Advanced degree in Engineering
- Hands-on design experience with fluidics, thermal control, robotics, and mechatronics
- Development team leadership and experience in the medical device industry
- Experienced working within large matrixed organization
- Six Sigma DFSS training
Job ID: 192638
Organization: Siemens Healthineers
Company: Siemens Medical Solutions USA, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.