The software engineering supervisor will be responsible for the direct supervision of all software engineering employees in the local facility. The technical responsibilities will include supervision for the design, development, modification, and debugging of the PLC control logic and HMI systems used to control and monitor switchgear and simulator systems.
1. Always receptive to feedback, willing to learn, and embracing continuous improvement.
2. Communicates effectively with all levels of employees and management.
3. Confirm project requirements by reviewing the program objective vs. hardware provided.
4. Provide an estimated completion schedule for every programming project.
5. Develop custom PLC programs using both function block and ladder logic style programming using a standards-based approach.
6. Develop custom SCADA programs using a standards-based approach.
7. Responsible for alarm and event point assignment, which will be used in SCADA development to enhance operator situational awareness.
8. Complete all programming projects in a timely manner.
9. Provide troubleshooting support for our Hingham MA and Broken Arrow OK factory facilities as well as Field Service Engineers.
10. Participates in the continuous improvement of the PLC programming standards.
11. Oversee all work progress and scheduling deadlines for the local software engineers.
12. Author new and modify existing procedures to satisfy ISO 9000 requirements.
13. Act as a mentor for, and direct the training of all local software engineers.
14. Assist the Test Department during all Factory Witness Tests of switchgear and simulator systems.
15. Travel Percentage: 0-5%
• Strong understanding of PLC Network Architecture. This includes, but is not limited to Redundant PLC Controllers, Remote IO Drops, and all associated network protocols.
• Strong understanding of Emergency Power Switchgear System, and Automatic Transfer Switch operation. This includes, but is not limited to No-Load Tests, ATS Load Tests, Manual/Auto Load Control, and Generator Demand.
• Ability to develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for new Emergency Power Switchgear Systems.
• Ability to develop and support lifelike software simulation of new Emergency Power Switchgear System automatic operation. This includes, but is not limited to Random Engine Start, Dead Bus, and Synchronizing Sequences, Accurate kW Simulation. Calculations for each circuit breaker that has hardwired kW monitoring, and the ability to induce failures into all functions that are automated by the PLC system.
• Ability to troubleshoot and edit SCADA applications that interface with the PLC system(s) being provided.
• Strong understanding of Utility/Generator Switchgear System operation. This includes, but is not limited to Open Transition Transfers, 100ms Overlap Transfers, Soft Loading Transfers, Transfer Failures, and Electrical Events while the Generators are paralleled with a Utility Source.
• Ability to develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for new Utility/Generator Switchgear Systems.
• Ability to develop and support lifelike software simulation of new Utility/Generator Switchgear System automatic operation.
• Ability to develop and support software that simulates manual operation (switchgear door mounted Lights, Buttons, Switches, Analog Meters, etc…) for new Switchgear Systems. Schematic circuit breaker close interlocks and shunt trip circuits must be duplicated, with a final result that ensures that the simulated and true operations match exactly.
• Ability to develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for legacy Emergency Power Switchgear Systems. These modifications will be implemented to an on-line facility, and a smooth transition from old to new automation is crucial.
• Ability to host live demonstrations for existing and potential customers, highlighting the strengths of our switchgear automation.
• Ability to develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for legacy Utility/Generator Switchgear Systems. These modifications will be implemented to an on-line facility, and a smooth transition from old to new automation is crucial. Utility/Generator Switchgear Systems provide power to the on-line facility at all times, making it extremely difficult to implement incremental upgrades. For this reason full, accurate simulation of the system in the various stages of the upgrade is also required.
• Ability to develop and support PLC software for the largest, most complex, Switchgear Systems that have been / will be provided by the company.
• Ability to develop and support PLC programs written using non-standard PLC programming software.
• Collaborate with other departments, commissioning agents, and end users to come up with improvements and new features for our Switchgear Systems.
• Perform Research and Development tasks to validate ideas, and implement changes into the PLC software standard.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Education:
1. Applicable degree in Automation and Control Engineering or equivalent combination of formal education, training and experience.
2. Minimum of ten years’ experience in electrical generator, utility, and substation testing, installation, and maintenance
3. Ability to manage multiple projects at once.
4. Ability to interpret schematics, wiring prints, point lists, and other documentation.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Ability to thrive in a diverse environment with minimal supervision.
7. Proficiency with windows based operating systems and TCP/IP networks.
8. Knowledge of standard data types (Boolean, Integer, Double Integer, Floating Point, etc…)
9. Familiarity with Object-Oriented Programming.
10. Experience with a variety of communication methods, such as Genius, SRTP, Ethernet Global Data, Profinet, and Modbus.
11. Experience with a variety of programming PLCs and SCADAs, including LM90, VersaPro, Proficy, RSLogix 5000, ProWORX, Step 7, and Wonderware.
Why Siemens? In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, matching 401K, life insurance and 3 weeks of PTO to start.
- Extensive training along with career development.
We aim to hire top talent and arm them with the opportunity to make top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in a growing business. We are proud that when people join Siemens, they rarely leave, as shown with our low turnover.