The Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Software Engineer will be responsible for the development, modification, and debugging of the PLC control logic used to control and monitor switchgear systems. The engineer will also be responsible for advising the SCADA development team to ensure that all specified software operations and features are provided, accurate, and intuitive.
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. The Hingham plant is focused on ensuring that zero harm is done to our employees and zero defects are created in our processes. We utilize lean principles and digital factory technology to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard.
Do you want to work for a company with innovating technologies? Can you see yourself learning, growing, and succeeding in this exciting position? If so, we'd like to meet you!
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Receptive to feedback, willing to learn, and embraces continuous improvement.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Confirm project requirements by reviewing the program objective vs. hardware provided.
- Provide an estimated completion schedule for programming projects.
- Develop custom PLC programs with both function block and ladder logic style programming using a standards-based approach.
- Work with SCADA development team to design project specific SCADA control and monitoring screens.
- Responsible for alarm and event point assignment, which will be used in SCADA development to enhance operator situational awareness.
- Complete programming projects in a timely manner.
- Provide troubleshooting support for our Hingham MA and Broken Arrow OK factory facilities as well as Field Service Engineers.
- Participates in the continuous improvement of the PLC programming standards.
- Travel Percentage: 0-5%
- Strong understanding of PLC Network Architecture. This includes, but is not limited to - - Redundant PLC Controllers, Remote IO Drops, and all associated network protocols.
- Strong understanding of Emergency Power Switchgear System, and Automatic Transfer Switch operation. This includes, but is not limited to No-Load Tests, ATS Load Tests, Manual/Auto Load Control, and Generator Demand.
- Ability to develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for new Emergency Power Switchgear Systems.
- Ability to develop and support lifelike software simulation of new Emergency Power Switchgear System automatic operation. This includes, but is not limited to Random Engine Start, Dead Bus, and Synchronizing Sequences, Accurate kW Simulation. Calculations for each circuit breaker that has hardwired kW monitoring, and the ability to induce failures into all functions that are automated by the PLC system.
- Ability to troubleshoot and edit SCADA applications that interface with the PLC system(s) being provided.
- Strong understanding of Utility/Generator Switchgear System operation. This includes, but is not limited to Open Transition Transfers, 100ms Overlap Transfers, Soft Loading Transfers, Transfer Failures, and Electrical Events while the Generators are paralleled with a Utility Source.
- Ability to develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for new Utility/Generator Switchgear Systems.
- Ability to develop and support lifelike software simulation of new Utility/Generator Switchgear System automatic operation.
- Ability to develop and support software that simulates manual operation (switchgear door mounted Lights, Buttons, Switches, Analog Meters, etc…) for new Switchgear Systems. Schematic circuit breaker close interlocks and shunt trip circuits must be duplicated, with a final result that ensures that the simulated and true operations match exactly.
- Ability to develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for legacy Emergency Power Switchgear Systems. These modifications will be implemented to an on-line facility, and a smooth transition from old to new automation is crucial.
- Ability to host live demonstrations for existing and potential customers, highlighting the strengths of our switchgear automation.
Knowledge, Skills and Education:
1. Applicable degree in Automation and Control Engineering or equivalent combination of formal education, training and experience.
2. Ability to manage multiple projects at once.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
4. Ability to thrive in a diverse environment with minimal supervision.
5. Proficiency with windows based operating systems and TCP/IP networks.
6. Knowledge of standard data types (Boolean, Integer, Double Integer, Floating Point, etc…)
7. Familiarity with Object-Oriented Programming.
8. Ability to interpret schematics, wiring prints, point lists, and other documentation.
9. Understanding of 3 phase power.
10. Strong understanding of diesel generator start/stop control, synchronizing, load sharing, and soft loading.
11. Experience with a variety of communication methods, such as Genius, SRTP, Ethernet Global Data, Profinet, and Modbus.
12. Bachelors Degree in Engineering preferred although a combination of education (HS Diploma or GED equivalency is a minimum requirement) and directly related work experience will also be considered.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Why Siemens? In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, matching 401K, life insurance and 3 weeks of PTO to start.
- Extensive training along with career development.
We aim to hire top talent and arm them with the opportunity to make top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in a growing business. We are proud that when people join Siemens, they rarely leave, as shown with our low turnover.