If you are looking for an opportunity to impact the sustainability bottom line for a large US based corporation where sustainability is an integral part of our company values, then this is the right internship for you!
Siemens was the world’s first major industrial company to publicly commit to achieving carbon neutrality by 2030. Since making the commitment in 2015, our emissions have dropped by
41 percent – from 2.2 million tons to 1.3 million tons in fiscal 2019 and we are well on track to reach our intermediate goal to reduce emissions by half by 2020. We are implementing several strategies for achieving this task including increasing energy efficiency of our operations, powering our buildings and factories with renewables as well as decarbonizing our supply chain. You will be directly working the US Chief Sustainability officer who is leading these efforts for the US.
For 170 years, pioneering technologies, and the business models developed from them, have been the foundation of Siemens’ success. To us, being a sustainable business means ensuring profitable and long-term growth while balancing profit, people and planet. Our sustainability initiatives are an essential aspect of successfully implementing the Siemens Strategy Program Vision 2020+. Our understanding of sustainability is fully based on our company values – responsible, excellent, innovative. At Siemens, we define sustainable development as the means to achieve profitable and long-term growth. In doing so, we, externally, align ourselves with the goals of the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development while, internally, striving to balance people, environment and profit.
Our research and development (R&D) activities led by Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) are ultimately geared toward developing innovative, sustainable solutions for our customers – and Siemens businesses – and simultaneously safeguarding our competitiveness. Our CT Princeton facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are your responsibilities?
- You will contribute to the carbon neutrality journey of Siemens and in the process learn what works and what does not for a large corporation
- Analyze energy and emission data from over 280 Siemens US sites
- You will contribute to an internal Decarbonization calculator – a scenario tool, which will model economic impacts of market variability and technology advancement on pathways to decarbonization
- Desktop research on virtual power purchase agreements and renewable energy certificate markets
- You will be based in Princeton, NJ but will spend 1 day per week in Siemens New York City office with the Chief Sustainability Officer.
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- Pursuing Bachelors or Masters Degree in Environmental Studies, Data Science, Sustainability Science or a related quantitative field with an interest in sustainability
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office products, with strong or advanced Excel skills. Advanced excel modeling skills using VBA is a plus
- Ability to work independently and apply creative thinking strategies for problem solving and attention to details
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills in English
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs
Job ID: 195967
Organization: Corporate Technology
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Student (Not Yet Graduated)
Job Type: Full-Time temporary
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.