Position Summary: This position is responsible for planning, performing, and reporting on drivetrain (gearbox, main shaft, and main bearing, generator bearings, etc) inspections and repairs. This position is also responsible for trouble-shooting support for all components associated with drivetrain (pumps, fans, sensors, etc). 95% travel site-work-related is required. The mechanical specialist will interface with clients and manage small crews on a regular basis.
Position could report & support O&M during periods of down time or travel to support other jobs within the Advanced Maintenance team. Heavy lifts, Major Campaigns and Blades
Duty / Responsibility
• Ability to work in confined / enclosed space and comfortable with heights
• Inspections (borescope) of drivetrain components (main shaft + bearings, gearbox + gears + bearings)
• Gearbox repairs – high speed bearings, high speed shafts, intermediate speed bearings, mechanical pump
• Assist in troubleshooting of drivetrain related issues (pumps, sensors, brakes, cooling unit, filters, etc.)
• Assist in large corrective (crane work) replacement of gearboxes and main shafts
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to describe complex damages, participate in preparation of inspection and repair reports, and follow up to final resolution
• Advance knowledge of maintenance and electrical testing equipment for turbines
• Test electrical components and systems, as well as mechanical and hydraulic systems
• Perform maintenance on wind turbine equipment including troubleshooting electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic malfunctions. Replace worn or malfunctioning components.
• Support Advanced Maintenance group with various projects, including large and small correctives on a variety of components
• Identify process improvements; including reduction of non-value added operations, increased productivity opportunities, increased safety opportunities, etc
• Inspect, diagnose, adjust, and repair components in the wind turbine. Inspect the exterior and physical integrity of towers and blades.
• Technician must be able to work within the maximum safety guidelines using personal protection equipment
• Basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, diagnostic tools and equipment
• Must be willing to travel for extended periods of time - up to 95%
• Perform other duties – Safe, team-oriented work habits are essential
• Support site O&M and troubleshooting efforts when needed
High School Graduate/GED/Equivalent Work – Required
Vocation/Technical School/ Diploma Program – Preferred
Associate’s Degree – Preferred
Bachelor’s Degree – Preferred
Related Work Experience:
2-4 Years – Required
Can additional experience substitute for education? Yes
If “yes”, identify how many years of additional experience: 4
Knowledge Base/License/Certification/Registration (List the required and / or preferred licenses, certifications or registrations, if any)
Gearbox / Generator Repairs and Inspections: Preferred
Familiarity with Gamesa and/or Siemens Mechanical/Electrical turbine operation: Preferred
Ability to lead repair team: Preferred
Specialized Skills & Knowledge [List the minimum required specific knowledge and skills necessary to perform this job (e.g., basic accounting principles, computer programming, languages, spreadsheets, specific manufacturing processes, etc.]
Turbine trouble shooting (knowledge in electrical and hydraulic schematic readings)
Knowledge of mechanical/electrical inspection techniques
Turbine work and safety practices
Knowledge of mechanical/electrical repairs
Document inspection repairs and create reports
Microsoft Excel, Word. Ability to work from height for inspection or repairs
Use of borescope and Laser alignment tool - digital camera – set up and operation
May provide general guidance to others and train lower level employees.
Primary Equipment/Applications Used
Primary equipment used: Wind turbine tools, Electrical testers, digital camera, Standard office equipment, forklift, Laser alignment and borescope.
Required software: Basic use of Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.
“Driving is an essential function of the job and applicants must have a valid driver’s license at the time of application with an acceptable driving record. Employees must maintain a valid license and acceptable driving record and may be subject to periodic DMV checks of their license. “
Organization: Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
Company: Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, Inc.
Experience Level: Early Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.