DevOps Compiler Engineer
• This position will work to improve build processes with the goal of
improving developer productivity and product quality.
• This position will keep the product code base compatible with recent
compiler releases. This involves updating code, working with developers
to deliver code updates and working with vendors to fix bugs in
• This position will evaluate new compilers and new releases of
compilers to determine suitability for use compiling our product.
• This position will also work to maintain and improve the compilation
of third-party dependencies.
• This position is responsible for the evaluation of third-party build
• This position will need to share knowledge and coordinate work across
various teams. The ability to communicate clearly and precisely is
• In addition to compilation, this position will also contribute in
other aspects of the build process as needed, including work related to
CMake, Gradle, Git and automation.
• This position will focus on the on-going development and improvement
of build systems used by Development personnel in support of the
continuous building and testing of our product throughout the
• This position is a member of the Product Development DevOps team. The
DevOps team focuses on Siemens multidisciplinary design software and is
Part of Simulation & Test Solutions within Siemens Digital Industries
• Responsible for evaluating and recommending the use of new versions
of compilers currently in use.
• Responsible for evaluating and recommending the use of new compilers.
• Responsible to work with the Chief Architect and other senior members
of the Development team to make final determination of compiler update
• Responsible to drive the coordination of compiler updates across
• Participate in design and review of build system updates.
• Act as second level support for related areas, such as build systems
and third-party builds.
• Work within DevOps and related groups to define workflows and
operational policies and procedures related to build and compilation.
• Troubleshoot all aspects of compilation failures, including compiler
bugs, coding issues and end-user problems. Work with appropriate
personnel to solve problems. Escalate issues to Chief Architect or
compiler vendor as necessary.
• Work with appropriate teams to develop metrics to track compilation
efficacy and performance characteristics.
• Communicate impact of new compilers and compiler upgrades to users by
providing training, documentation and support as needed.
• Accomplish organization goals by accepting ownership for
accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to
add value to job accomplishments.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or bachelor’s
degree plus work experience
• 3+ years’ experience using C++, Java, Python, csh/bash.
• Proficiency with Linux and Windows operating systems.
• In-depth knowledge of Gnu, Intel and Clang compilers.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Runtimes.
• Experience with build tools such as make, CMake, Maven, Gradle.
• Experience with distributed source code management tools, such as Git.
• Experience with static analysis tools.
• Experience with parallel computing.
• Familiarity with HPC environments.
• Ability to analyze and solve problems related to a complex C++/Java
• Excellent communication skills.
• Comfortable with design as well as implementation.
• Excellent teamwork skills and ability to assist other team members in
• Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal oversight.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Background in physics or math.
• Familiarity with CAD or 3D graphics.
• Use of software lifecycle tools, such as Jira and Confluence.
• Experience with continuous automation tools, such as Jenkins.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.