DevOps Systems Administrator
- This position will administer and maintain services in support of Development with the goal of increasing overall productivity and product quality through the reduction of service outages and performance bottlenecks.
- This position will ensure that new services or enhancements to existing services are implemented globally. This includes evaluation, documentation and training.
- This position will work with internal customers to gather requirements and prioritize work. Internal customers include production, quality assurance, project management, DevOps colleagues and development personnel.
- The position will work closely with system administrators, production personnel, build and process engineers, and test framework engineers.
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely is required.
- This position is a member of the Product Development DevOps team. The DevOps team focuses on Siemens multidisciplinary design software and is part of Simulation & Test Solutions within Siemens Product Lifecycle Management.
- Responsible for
installation, maintenance and administration of Development services including
but not limited to services related to:
- build automation environments (Jenkins)
- virtualization (VMWare).
- source code management (Bitbucket/Git)
- issue tracking (Jira)
- software testing, repository management (Nexus)
- licensing servers (flexlm)
- Responsible for administration of Development services. Some administrative functions may be shared with appropriate users depending on the service involved.
- Establish system specifications by collaborating with users and analyzing workflow and security requirements.
- Upgrade services by conferring with users and vendors. Evaluate, install and test enhancements and new services. Provide users with access to enhancements and services under evaluation. Organize communication relevant to service upgrades and evaluations.
- Participate in designing system infrastructure with appropriate IT and Development personnel.
- Participate in system implementation with appropriate IT and Development personnel, including system selection, installation, script development, software and hardware configuration, and testing.
- Work within DevOps and related groups to define system and operational policies and procedures.
- Maintain system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning. Troubleshoot all aspects of service failures, including hardware, software, network and operating system failures. Work with appropriate Development and IT personnel to solve problems. Escalate issues to application vendor if necessary.
- Secure system by developing system access, monitoring, control, and evaluation processes.
- Work with IT personnel to establish and test failover systems and disaster recovery policies and procedures, including the test and maintenance of backups.
- Communicate new services and features to users by providing training, documentation and support as needed.
- Keep track of service-related expenses, such as licenses, fees and cost of hardware.
- Accomplish organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or bachelor’s degree plus work experience.
- 3+ years’ experience with Linux server and desktop administration.
- Windows desktop administration.
- Experience with software development automation environments, including tools such as Jenkins and Nexus.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code (IaC) tools, such as Terraform and Packer.
- Familiarity with provisioning tools such as Puppet and Chef.
- Proficiency with multiple scripting environments, such as bash or python.
- VMWare administration.
- Network services and protocols.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems in a complex WAN/LAN environment.
- AWS experience (preferred)
- Excellent communication skills.
- Comfortable with design as well as implementation.
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to assist other team members in problem-solving.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal oversight.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Service administration with experience in mission-critical development services, such as source control management systems, issue tracking systems, collaboration services, and code review services.
- Familiarity with build systems, such as make, Maven and Gradle.
- Familiarity with HTTP containers and databases (e.g. Oracle, MySql, Posgresql) typically used in network services.
- Software development experience is preferable.
- Exposure to software development test environments is preferable.
- #LI-PLM #LI-DK1
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.