Advanced Apprenticeship - Field Service Engineer – Siemens Healthineers
Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers to the healthcare industry and a trendsetter in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and medical information technology. We have an exciting opportunity for motivated and ambitious individuals to join our Healthineers Field Service Apprenticeship Scheme, commencing August 2020. If you are one of the growing number of people considering engineering as a career opportunity, then we would like to hear from you.
In conjunction with a local college, Siemens Healthineers offers a four year Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme which will give you the knowledge, qualifications and confidence you need to build a really successful career. The position will involve dedicated training on your journey to becoming a skilled Customer Service Engineer in the Healthcare industry with excellent Mechanical/Electrical diagnostic knowledge. The successful candidate will join our field based engineering team of approximately 200 engineers and will be ultimately responsible for the installation, repair and maintenance of our medical systems. You will provide vital technical service support to our customers working very closely with the factory technical escalation staff; sales and applications support teams as well as our Customer Care Centre.
We are recruiting for two areas: Manchester (North West) and London (South East area)
You will work at hospital sites throughout the UK, initially focusing on customer sites within the Manchester or London area. However you will be expected to travel to other Siemens Customer sites to help support your qualification and development.
Your future prospects
On completion of the apprenticeship and subject to a good training record, you will be offered a full-time position in Siemens Healthineers as a Customer Service Engineer with the opportunity of further education and product training.
The successful apprentices will attend a local college. The apprentice role is a field based position and will require travel to customer sites in the North West or South East England area. In addition and as part of their development programme, the apprentice will be required to attend other Siemens manufacturing sites across the Country on temporary short-term assignments as well as visit the Siemens Healthineers Customer Care Centre in Frimley, Surrey. In addition, travel abroad to the Siemens Training Centers in Germany and the US will be required.
· You will attend college and work towards achieving a Level 3 Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering. In addition, whilst working on the job you will be working towards a Level 3 NVQ Extended Diploma in Engineering Maintenance-Electrical.
· Year 1 will involve attendance at college for the first 8 months followed by day release for the remainder of the first year.
· Year 2 will also combine day release as well as in-house assessment.
· The 3rd and 4th years will be assessed in house while also completing an HNC course on day release.
There will be opportunities to work for short time frames in the Siemens Healthineers Customer Care Centre in Frimley, Surrey, other Siemens manufacturing sites and our Healthcare training facilities in Erlangen, Germany and in Cary in the US. There are also progression routes from this apprenticeship onto higher technical certificates and official Siemens Engineer training qualifications.
The Apprentice will require a full driving licence to enable them to proceed in their role in the business. Therefore Siemens will provide a £500 fund to cover driving lessons, Theory test and Practical test fees. The expectation will be a full licence pass within the first 9 months of the apprenticeship.
· You will possess excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills to enable you to work within a team focused environment.
· You must demonstrate attention to detail as the role requires the diagnosis and repair of complex mechanical and electrical problems on high technology medical product with a need to fix the problem first time.
· An interest in 'fixing and making things’ is desirable.
· Good level of computer literacy is desirable.
· You should be able to demonstrate your interest in activities outside your school life e.g. Duke of Edinburgh, Scouts, Guides, Sports team etc.
The role of the Customer Service Engineer requires a balance of technical and personal skills. Today’s customers require understanding and empathy with their problems, so the successful candidates will be required to effectively communicate with our customers and colleagues with a ‘can do attitude’. You must be keen to learn and have an inquiring mind and be able to demonstrate your enthusiasm for your work and our business. A self disciplined approach to your studies will be required as well as to your timekeeping and attendance in the workplace.
You should have at least four GCSEs at Grade C or above, this must include English Language and Science. Maths is also required at a Grade of B or higher. Please ensure that you list in your application if your qualifications are already obtained or predicted.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens Healthineers is one of the world's largest suppliers to the healthcare industry and a trendsetter in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and medical information. Siemens offers its customers products and solutions for the entire range of patient care from a single source – from prevention and early detection to diagnosis, and on to treatment and aftercare. By optimizing clinical workflows for the most common diseases, Siemens also makes healthcare faster, better and more cost-effective. When people’s lives depend on getting the right diagnosis at the right time, healthcare professionals need the confidence that their equipment is performing to the highest quality possible.
What’s the application process?
Once you’ve decided you’d like to apply for the role you’ll be taken through the following 3-stage process:
1. Online application – Please complete our online application and submit you CV, which will then be screened by our Talent Acquisition team.
2. Game-based assessment - This is an online assessment that assesses your behavioural traits and cognitive ability, to see if you align to our Siemens culture.
3. Assessment centre - If you're successful, you'll be invited to an assessment centre which will include a strengths-based interview and group exercise.
During the process, we're looking at your overall skills and personality so the best you can do is to simply be yourself. Remember, it's as much of an opportunity for you to get to know us, as well as allowing us to get to know you - it's very much a two-way process.
Organization: Siemens Healthineers
Company: Siemens Healthcare Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time