Senior Systems Engineer, Applied Physicist
Business Unit: Diagnostic Imaging
Requisition Number: 212490
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Hoffman Estates
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthcare
The Molecular Imaging (MI) division of Siemens Healthcare (Hoffman Estates, Illinois facility) is currently seeking a Senior-Level Applied Physicist to join our SPECT engineering team to develop molecular imaging devices (http://healthcare.siemens.com/molecular-imaging). This position will work as part of a cross-functional organization with large and diverse teams, acting in a technical leadership role. The primary function of this role will include the elicitation and elaboration of clinical requirements for molecular imaging devices. A deep understanding of clinical and system level use cases and workflows is needed to develop high-value and novel customer solutions, and a strong background in medical imaging is required to translate new features into system functionality. A passion for delivering products that improve the outcomes of patient healthcare is essential for membership on our team.
· Maintain ultimate ownership for the realization of new system functionality over the course of a development project
· Drive the definition, specification, technical risk management, integration, test strategy, and validation of a product feature in close cooperation with the project team
· Elicit high quality system requirements from clinical, service, manufacturing, marketing, and other users/stakeholders
· Review and assess maturing technologies for incorporation into products
· Develop and maintain system technical performance specifications
· Develop novel algorithms and execute testing to assess image quality and performance.
· Generate clear and thorough written reports documenting technical performance of system.
· Investigate and resolve customer issues related to system image quality or performance
· Elaborate and decompose user and system level requirements into detailed and complete specifications
· Identify, quantify, and drive the mitigation of technical risks to our projects and products
· Champion both the extrinsic quality (proven by functional verification) and the intrinsic quality (proven by clinical validation) of our products
· Productize cutting-edge technologies to deliver breakthrough medical care to our customers and patients
· Ensure seamless integration of complex hardware and software subsystems that are designed and manufactured at multiple locations across the globe
· Provide critical technical guidance to associates and upper management
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· PhD degree in Physics, Biomedical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience relating to detectors and imaging, preferably with medical imaging focus
· 2 years of experience in a diagnostics or imaging field preferably with medical focus (can be part of PhD program)
· Deep knowledge of imaging use cases and workflows
· Proven application of comprehensive knowledge of diagnostics or medical imaging
· Demonstrated advanced knowledge of system performance testing.
· Understanding of key technologies for medical imaging as they pertain to clinical scanners
· Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to convey ideas and concepts to a wide range of international audiences (USA, Germany, China & India) including the clinical community, product management and other engineers
· Positive attitude team player with ability to also work autonomously
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
· Domestic/International travel required periodically (<5%)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Experience of both clinical and industry environments a strong plus
· Demonstrated ability to manage change in rapidly evolving situations
· Demonstrated skill in bridging gaps between technical and non-technical stakeholders
· Experience with developing and executing system level verification tests
· Solid understanding of medical physics as it relates to system performance
· Experience with 510K medical devices or other highly regulated environments