Director - Warehouse & Logistics
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 213406
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthcare
Director of Materials (Warehouse and Logistics)
We are looking for a highly experienced Director of Warehouse and Logistics to join the manufacturing operations leadership team at our Flanders NJ facility. This is a newly created role that is essential to our ability to meet the increasing customer demands and for the sites successful expansion and growth.
The Flanders facility has undergone significant infrastructure expansion in the last 24 months. This is in preparation for the manufacture of legacy products being transferred from other Siemens facilities and to prepare for the manufacture of our new high volume products that are approaching volume manufacture.
Production throughput has significantly increased in the last 12 months and is projected to continue to grow, effectively quadrupling in the next 2 years. This change in manufacturing pace requires a new approach to the methodologies utilized to manage all aspects of the warehouse and logistics activities.
The incumbent will need to be a seasoned individual who has significant experience of warehouse management and logistics in a fast paced industry with complex instrumentation and high SKU counts. They will utilize their knowledge and vision to create strategies that enable the site to efficiently utilize space, effectively receive materials, work with procurement to implement daily JIT techniques, provide seamless responses to the manufacturing line, utilize 3PLs, and streamline incoming and outbound logistics. Due to the large number of SKUs that we now manage and the anticipated increase in turns as volumes increase, the individual must be comfortable and familiar with lean techniques and materials management philosophies utilized in modern material chains.
The successful applicant will take charge of an existing team comprising approximately 30 employees situated in two warehouses. In order to keep ahead of the volume growth the incumbent will need to create a business strategy to structure and recruit the resources that will be required. In addition, the strategies for material movements and team structure will need to be planned and implemented. This will need experience, vision, excellent communication skills, team skills and passion for perfection.
Summary Role Description
Reports to: - Director of Manufacturing Operations
- Inbound material and outbound logistics
- All aspects of Materials management in the warehouse
- Inventory control and space utilization
- Space utilization and strategy for managing volume increases
- Recruitment of new employee and development programs
- Compliance in areas of responsibility
- Employee health and safety
- Business strategy for growth and expansion
- Promotion of corporate values and employee recognition and development
Requirements (Must haves)
- A good understanding of healthcare manufacturing environments. Preferably within a high complexity, mid to high volume electro mechanical products.
- Experience of working within a regulated industry. (for example FDA).
- 10+ years of successful experience in a related field with a demonstrable track record of success.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, preferred Master’s Degree applicant in an industry relevant discipline.
- A true understanding of the term “quality comes first” in all that they do.
- A continuous improvement approach coupled with the vision to keep the knowledge and skills base ahead of the curve.
- The tactical and strategic vision to plan ahead and ensure training is in place up to date and meeting/or exceeding the needs of the business
- The ability to use and develop meaningful metrics that track performance and drive improvements.
- A natural ability to influence and develop a diverse team of personnel with varying skill sets.
- First class communication abilities. Able to work with peers, accurately report status and connect with direct reports and stakeholders.
- Cost center management and budget control.
- Strict adherence to procedure and policy. Including, implementation of protocols and team training to achieve compliance requirements. (Typically leveraging experience from a healthcare regulated industry)
- Motivational approach (via KPI) to encourage individuals to meet deadlines and compliance.
- Manage resources and implement training strategy to achieve goals in an efficient, cost effective way.
- Knowledge of split shift and multiple shift
Requirements (Highly desirable):
- Microsoft office skills
- Industry experience in a manufacturing and quality environment
- Warehouse / supply chain / materials background
- FDA experience with audit experience
- Lean background (SPS, 6 sigma, RCA)
- CAPA experience and knowledge (ability to coach , own and drive)
- Professional certification in SCM/ materials management or equivalent.
- Knowledge of SAP ERP systems.