Network Architect/Engineer - Atlantic Region (Open Location: OH, VA, KY, TN, MD/D.C. or Bridgeville, PA)
Business Unit: Regional Solutions & Services Americas
Requisition Number: 217126
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-Beltsville
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 25%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/building-technologies.htm
- IT systems planning, design, configuration and implementation to support the installation and operation of connected smart building systems and applications.
- Close collaboration with Siemens BT project management, sales and operations teams to understand projects and customer needs and define, budget, and implement appropriate technology solutions.
- Coordinates with customer IT departments and stakeholders throughout all project stages to determine requirements, resolve technology challenges, and effectively communicate proposed technical solutions.
- Manage local and regional partnerships with technology services providers and coordinates project engagement.
- Provide technical direction, IT support, and escalation resolution to field technicians during system and software installation, configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Read and interpret project requirements documents (construction specifications, RFP, RFI, additional as required) and select IT designs, equipment, software, and specific configuration to meet the requirements.
- Design overall IT system and network topologies, develop implementation plans, and produce supporting documentation; including, diagrams, architectures, configuration documentation, bills of material, component lists, and other documents as required.
- Spec, size, select, configure, administer and troubleshoot best-practices compliant IT equipment that meets project needs; including: servers, SAN, NAS, switches, SFPs, routers, firewalls, wireless APs and point-to-point bridges, cabling/media types and connectors, patch panels, racks/enclosures, UPS/PDU, environmental monitoring, cameras, and other equipment as required
- Research, analyze, select, install, configure, administer and troubleshoot best-practices compliant software that meets project needs; including: server/workstation OS, anti-virus/malware, line of business applications, monitoring/alerting, virtualization hypervisors, SQL databases, and other software as required.
- Install, configure, administer, and troubleshoot Microsoft Windows Server domain environments; including, Active Directory, user/service accounts, group policies (GPO), security policies, DNS, DHCP, IIS, file server services, and other domain roles as required.
- Install, configure, administer and troubleshoot virtualized environments; including: RAID/volumes, hypervisor OS, iSCSI/NFS, VMs, resource policies/performance, vMotion, HA/FT, backups, and other functions as required
- Design, install, configure, administer and troubleshoot network equipment; including configuration of: STP/RSTP, Port Security, ACLs, VLANs, VRRP/HRSP/GLBP, SNMP, 802.1Q trunks, PoE, firewall rules, wireless SSIDs/security, and other functions/protocols as required.
- Work with building technology (BT) subject matter experts in automation, security and fire to design, implement and troubleshoot complex integration between multiple building systems; including working with: RESTful APIs, WebServices APIs, BACNet, modbus, CSV files, and other protocols as required.
- Work with sales, project management, and operations teams to develop project budgets, create bills of materials, price equipment/software/licensing, estimate direct and partner labor, obtain/manage quotes, identify risks, and other project duties as required.
Software patch management, network equipment OS/firmware updates, storage space management, disk defragmentation, review/resolve system/log events, and other tasks as required.
High level understanding of current building technology, “IoT,” smart building systems, and industry trends preferred.
Reviews new, existing, and modified technical designs, configuration, and administration practices to ensure feasibility, best practice compliance, and specification suitability.
Plan, coordinate with customer IT as needed, and perform maintenance on IT equipment, systems and software; including: Microsoft Windows OS patch management, third party
- 5+ years of experience in IT systems and networking design, implementation and/or administration required
- Current CCNA certification or ability to achieve it during the first 6 months of employment required
- Additional industry certifications (e.g. VMWare VCP, Microsoft MCSA, CompTIA Network+) strongly preferred
- BS/BA/AS in Information Technology or a similar degree preferred
- Understanding of and experience working with physical IT infrastructure (e.g. communications media, cable pathways, equipment racks/enclosures) preferred.
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively as a member of a distributed team in a virtual/remote work environment preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication and efficacy communicating complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences preferred.
- Understanding of and experience with reading and interpreting construction specifications and drawings preferred.
- High level understanding of construction processes; including, project planning, pricing, and installation preferred.
- Reporting to Zone Integration and Network Engineering manager (ZINE).
- Dotted line reporting to Building Technologies (BT) HQ Center of Competence for IT (IT CoC)
- Peer relationship and close collaboration with: Zone Technical Experts (ZTEs) in building automation, security and fire; customer Account Executives; and Project Mangers.
- Individual contributor.
- 50% local travel
- Physical and remote/virtual office environment.
- Physical onsite to customer/project locations; including: meetings, construction sites, data centers, central plants, industrial environments, and other locations as required
- This position requires a vehicle for local travel and on-site visits. This position requires routine access to SAP to perform project functions.