PhD Intern - Vision and Deep Learning R&D
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 217767
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services. Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth. For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with its global network of experts, CT is a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. It provides important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. The support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with CT’s own future-oriented research.
The people who work at Corporate Technology are more than employees. They are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research.
The Vision Technology and Solutions group within Siemens Corporate Technology in Princeton, NJ has immediate openings for internships in computer vision and perception. We address a wide variety of computer vision and perception problems and have a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences. You will have an opportunity to test and expand your knowledge with a focus on innovation and real-world applications. Our Princeton facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated researchers. We offer flat hierarchies and foster teams with a mix of junior and senior experts.
What are typical intern responsibilities?
• Contribute to research projects that develop a variety of algorithms and systems in computer vision, image and video analysis (including publications).
• Apply image and video analysis techniques to large-scale, real-world problems.
• The latest and greatest in deep learning for perception (several of our technologies are arriving in Siemens’ products), make it work in practice.
• Work in a team of junior and senior experts.
What are good qualifications for this internship?
• A current PhD student in Engineering or Mathematics
• Prior experience in computer vision, machine/deep learning, or related fields
• Hands-on coding skills and ability to quickly prototype in C++. Further experience in scripting languages such as Python is a plus.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English is required
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a can-do attitude
• Strong collaboration skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic team
• Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34