Software Engineer 2 (SEPAC) - Intelligent Traffic Solutions
Business Unit: Intelligent Traffic Systems
Requisition Number: 219974
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Austin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/mobility.htm
On highways, down inner city streets, through tunnels and railway crossings, travels an endless stream of cars, trains, buses. Traffic is a complex, nonstop challenge for major city centers and small communities alike. Coordinating traffic, staying on top of its ebbs and flows, is a complex, demanding task for emergency support personnel, city planners and transportation system operators everywhere.
The burden of this task is bringing about significant challenges to the way traffic is managed. Very soon vehicles will communicate with the roadway. Autonomous vehicles are appearing on the road today. At Siemens we are building customer specific solutions to meet this future now.
As a Software Engineer at Siemens Intelligent Traffic Systems (ITS) you will be responsible for shaping this future, by designing and developing software for a unique customer-specific traffic management system to support a major urban area in the United States. This system interacts with the connected field devices (e.g. traffic controllers, UPS, detectors, etc.), supports the complex decision-making tasks, and controls and optimizes traffic in this major metropolitan area. All the while working to protect drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, and improve travel times.
Features and responsibilities of this position include:
* Designing and developing exciting new features for our evolving flagship products
* Exhibit the personality of one who desires to be part of a dynamic and agile software team in a highly collaborative environment
* Planning, estimating, and executing work packages within the framework of a modern iterative software development process
* Participating in reviewing customers' standards specifications and other documentation to determine software engineering requirements
Required technical skill set:
* Background in C/C++ programming (2+ years)
* Strong understanding of embedded technologies
* Strong understanding of OOD (object-oriented design)
* BS/BA in a related discipline, or advanced degree. Typically 2+ years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.
Desired technical skill set:
* Familiarity with Linux Operating Environment
* Familiarity with Java and database design a plus
* Understanding of various communications methods, IP, serial, SNMP, etc .
* Familiarity with programming in iOS/Android OS also a plus
* Experience with client-server systems or distributed software design
Soft skill set:
* Strong Analytical skills
* Good communication skills to function within an AGILE team setting fostering collaboration with developers and testers.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.