Healthcare Lead Systems Engineer
Business Unit: Strategy & Innovation
Requisition Number: 220284
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 25%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineers
The Chief Engineer is responsible for all technical aspects of R&D project execution and is the technical lead for the new platform architecture definition and development. This person has a strong understanding of engineering principles and enjoys developing biological systems. He/She is responsible for identifying, tracking, and achieving product design objectives such as cost per test, throughput, turn-around-time, sensitivity, and reliability. He/She is responsible for planning and executing engineering project activities. Responsible for overall product design and execution of technical design reviews. Initial responsibilities include working with functional leads to identify staffing needs of each function. The Chief Engineer ensures product design compliance to all regulatory requirements. He/She works closely with the Heads of Software, Instrument Engineering, Assay Development, Systems Engineering, and the Program Manager to ensure the successful execution of the project. They monitor and resolve any unresolved project bottlenecks as priorities and projects timelines change. The Chief Engineer is an Individual contributor role.
· Lead all technical aspects of the project team
· Lead architecture definition and functional decomposition of the system. Drive modularization aspects of the design.
· Provide guidance to the design team to obtain a high quality system that meets the customer and business needs.
· Lead and manage cross-functional technical team responsible for product architecture, design and synthesis through the complete lifecycle of the project.
· Assures that the product metrics are tracked and all product and deliverables (quality, cost per test, schedule, development cost, throughput, etc.) are met within their planned tolerances and as close to target as possible. Identifies needed decisions and drives the decision making process.
· Manages the technical scope, schedule, and budget of the project. Exhibits timely problem escalation based on outcomes that are deviations to the plan.
· Establishes and administers procedures pertaining to systems engineering, systems integration, verification, and risk management and internal collaboration between systems engineering and other MDX PLMs, capture and reuse of knowledge and control of the quality of engineering deliverables.
· Schedules and leads meetings to coordinate inter-functional project activities required to resolve engineering project issues.
· Recommends engineering budget requirements and takes action to guarantee effective creation and management of assets within approved budgets.
· Establishes adequate design history, engineering problem history and integration/verification testing evidence for all deliverables.
· Interfaces with Senior Functional Managers and Business Unit leadership as needed.
· Identifies the need and establishes relationships with co-development partners as required
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Biosciences or Engineering or Bachelor’s Degree in Bioscience or Engineering and commiserate experience
- 8-10 years of experience leading product development projects for large complex systems with a proven track record of success.
- Experienced in aspects of Product Life Cycle Management (PLM).
- Strong breadth of technical knowledge in the fields of systems engineering, instrument design, assay integration, and product verification and validation.
- Skilled in delivering products to market and managing complex technical projects
- Experience in leading cross-functional technical teams located across multiple locations.
- Experience in product development including design optimization, robust engineering, product line engineering, and design transfer.
· Experience delivering successful commercial products to the market
· Experience creating simulation models to predict system performance
· Ability to create programs to perform data analysis or leverage third-party data acquisition, analysis and simulation tools.
· Experience in development of products in a life sciences or regulated diagnostic environment is highly desirable.
· Strong ability to problem solve - both defining the problem and ability to demonstrate solutions compatible with business objectives. Ability to break large problems down in to their constituent components.
· Understands basics of engineering principles and how to apply these principles to the development of complex systems.
· Experience with “green-field” design challenges.
· Desire to join a start-up effort within a major multi-national corporation.