Sr. Manager, Systems Engineering
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 221877
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Other Locations: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineers
Are you seeking an opportunity to for manage a Systems Engineering team responsible for the integration, verification and characterization of automated medical devices to provide rapid and accurate diagnostic testing for clinical laboratories?
System & Assay Integration, Characterization & Verification is a team focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic, (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
Responsible for managing a Systems Engineering team of 6-8 engineers responsible for the integration, verification and characterization of systems for all development projects.
Potential to manage team members working at our Delaware and/or New Jersey sites.
Position reports to a Director of System & Assay Integration within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO)
· Assure team’s compliance to all verification and integration quality procedures and policies of product development applicable to the product development scope.
· Responsible for review of team technical output and artifacts; integration, characterization, design convergence studies, root cause of product performance issues, and test cases to assure the highest quality
· Oversee, plan & execute experiments to study design feasibility & the impact of various subsystem and system design options to identify & characterize critical design parameters and their boundaries
· Assist in identification of solutions to complex technical issues by troubleshooting, determining root cause, and then proposing design modifications as they pertain to system & assay performance.
· Analyze & review system & assay performance test data. Establish acceptance criteria and determine path forward.
· Write & review data-driven, technical summaries and test reports.
· Administers procedures as executed by the team pertaining to:
· system integration
· prototype configuration management (especially during System Verification)
· design verification and traceability
· risk management
· design transfer
· Assure internal collaboration between the Systems engineering team with all Design and Commercial Product Engineering teams is strong
· Assure that inter-functional teamwork is strong
· Demonstrates and requires Systems Engineering best practices from all direct reports
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· B.S in Engineering is required.
· Appreciation for the FDA regulated medical device industry.
· Understanding of engineering fundamentals and how to apply across hardware and software
· Skilled at overall systems thinking; with a broad range of knowledge and experience in system characterization, integration, verification and validation.
· Experience providing direction and technical guidance to a team of engineers
· Experience acting as part of an integrated, cross-functional team.
· Experienced in aspects of Agile and SCRUM
· Experience in the personal development of direct reports
· Able to provide challenging tasks and assignments to the team
· Able to maintain an active dialogue regarding performance and career path.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills are essential.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Work experience in the medical device or pharmaceutical industry preferred.
· Exposure to knowledge based engineering preferred
· Certified SCRUM Master preferred