Director of Application Software Development
Business Unit: Strategy & Innovation
Requisition Number: 222971
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 30%
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineers
The Head of Application Software Development is responsible for leading all aspects of application software design, synthesis and maintenance of world class molecular diagnostic systems. He/She is responsible for resourcing, planning and executing all activities and for the quality of deliverables in area of responsibility. This person works closely with Systems Engineering, Instrument Engineering, User Integrated Design, Project Leadership and the Product Owner to plan and execute software development projects. He/She ensures that teams have appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver products effectively by establishing realistic estimates for timelines while ensuring that projects remain on target to meet quality and timeline objectives. The head of application software champions the use of prototype interface software to determine software usability and interface design specifications early in the project. The best candidate for this role is a hands-on leader capable of defining a product vision and able to lead a team in executing that vision. The head of Application Software Development will ultimately be responsible for a team of 15-20 software developers.
· Serves as a key member of the MDX PLM extended leadership team to align software development activities to the long term objectives of the MDX organization.
· Manages a software development organization responsible for multiple projects.
· Identifies and obtains key talent.
· Direct responsibility for quality, reliability, reusability, development cost, and development timeline of software solutions delivered.
· Identifies needed decisions and drives the decision making process.
· Schedules and leads meetings to coordinate interdepartmental project activities required to resolve issues.
· Involved with negotiating, and then managing, business agreements between Siemens organizational units and between the project and suppliers, OEM partners, or Co-development partners.
· Monitors and resolves any unresolved resource bottlenecks as priorities and projects timelines change. Responsible for quality of deliverables to manufacturing, service, and training.
· Responsible for capturing design knowledge and root causes of product performance degradation.
· Responsible for continually optimizing reusable design solutions and for maintaining them in high level of integration readiness.
· Responsible for software development proficiency improvements
· Heads overall organization assigned, and leads all related management and staff.
· Plans and manages overall budget for organization assigned.
· Creates and implements best practice product development vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to develop and improve business performance.
· Understand the importance of strengthening department through the development of individuals who comprise that organization. Provide challenging tasks and assignments and maintaining an active dialogue regarding performance
· Work with software and product architecture to ensure that the implementation of the design meet the architectural quality objectives
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other Engineering Discipline.
· Demonstrated track record of at least ten (10) years leading a progressive software product development organization in the field of diagnostic instrumentation. Experienced in all aspects of software development.
· Experience delivering a successful commercial product to market where the individual made important contributions.
· Strong breadth of knowledge in modern software technologies and architectures.
· Strong background in software planning and execution.
· Ability to work and influence in a matrixed organization is essential
· Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to communicate rapidly and effectively within the organization and to represent the company in a professional manner
· Ability to create a product vision and champion that vision within the organization
· Business experience in resource allocation, budgeting, project management and leadership.
· Ability to serve as influencer or change agent.
· Lead and manage complex projects and teams. Ability to shift resources and priorities to meet critical deadlines.
· Create a high performance, quality focused team with a strong culture and respect for each other. Encourage and expect innovation and input from staff at all levels. Ensure the teams understand their impact to customer and patient health through their contributions to the enhanced product experience and ongoing expertise support.
· Strong leadership, able to communicate a clear vision for the future of diagnostics instrumentation and the steps required to achieve that vision.