DCS Automation Engineer-TX
Business Unit: Process Automation
Requisition Number: 223118
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 30%
For more information, please visit:
Position Overview – DCS Automation Engineer
The DCS Automation Engineer is responsible for the design and implementation of complex Distributed Control System (DCS) solutions that integrate process automation hardware and software for customers in the chemical, food/beverage, and pharmaceutical industries.
- Works in close cooperation with project managers and technical contacts of the customer to apply fundamental engineering concepts, practices and procedures to complete assigned tasks within quality and budget requirements
- Provides technical leadership in the design, implementation and test phases of DCS projects as part of a project team
- Leads complex technical clarifications and knowledge transfers along the project phases
- Develops recommendations for productivity improvement, cost reduction and improvement of customer satisfaction
- Reports to the Solutions Engineering Manager within the Automation & Engineering (AE) Business Unit
The position is located in Houston, TX reporting directly to the hiring manager.
- Contributes to the success of Automation Projects by executing engineering tasks within budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
- Develops complex DCS applications, based on customer requirements, using the PCS 7 engineering environment as well bulk engineering, and design tools for automation projects including greenfield applications, legacy control system modernizations, and system expansions.
- Identifies, and documents requirements using P&IDs, process descriptions and or existing logic.
- Creates test specifications, simulations, and performs software/hardware tests demonstrating compliance with customer requirements.
- Leads system installation, and commissioning activities on site.
- Provides engineering estimates to support the calculation of proposals for projects, and services.
- Maintains a high level of standardization within the design, and execution of applications
- Applies advanced skills to resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently.
- Identifies areas of risk and takes appropriate steps to mitigate in difficult or complex situations.
- Strong commitment to the team, and takes ownership of the success of projects.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS/BA in relevant discipline or advanced degree
- Typically 8-10 years of experience in the field of Automation, and successful demonstration of key responsibilities, and knowledge as presented above
- DCS programming experience
- Ability to adapt and apply new technology, and innovate engineering procedures
- Demonstrates, and applies advanced knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures in the field of Process Automation towards the successful completion of complex assignments
- Experience with continuous and batch processes as well as process safety
- Displays a high level of analytical thinking, and brings successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and/or cross-functional problems
- Technical leadership with an ability to provide guidance, and share knowledge within the project team.
- Travel requirements will be a function of assigned projects, and will likely range from periods of light travel (5-10%) to periods of higher travel (50%).
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Siemens PCS 7 programing experience
- Preferred education BSEE, BSME or BSCE
- Exposure to validation requirements specific to the pharmaceutical industry
- Other DCS or software programing experience