Sr. Material Coordinator-PA
Business Unit: Customer Services DF & PD
Requisition Number: 223154
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Harleysville
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: No
For more information, please visit:
Employee’s primary responsibility is to promptly move raw material and finished goods through the plant as required by production and shipping schedules and to ensure that inventory accuracy is maintained at all times. The employee will ensure that material in the warehouse is well organized, controlled, and promptly distributed upon demand to production workcells. Finished goods must be promptly delivered to the Shipping area. All transactions must be logged in SAP, and any issues that develop must be solved quickly. Additional responsibilities include basic inspection procedures for some incoming material and some production planning. Backup responsibilities may include supplemental support for the receiving and shipping processes, as well and the assembly and test of production instruments. Successful performance requires a combination of material handling experience, SAP skills, adaptability, creativity, self-direction, drive, solid decision-making, communication and problem-solving skills, and comfort in both solo and team settings. Reports to the production manager for the Pneumatic Instrument Manufacturing (PIM) group.
· Moves raw material and finished goods through the factory (Receiving to Inspection to production floor to Shipping) and records the transactions in SAP.
· Keeps the warehouse well organized and continually makes improvements to ensure that materials are stored properly and space is used efficiently.
· Counts inventory as needed to ensure accuracy and compliance with internal and external regulations.
· Investigates inventory problems, identifies root causes, and implements corrective actions.
· Locates and quarantines material when concerns are raised that it may be defective.
· Performs basic inspection procedures on some purchased materials, focusing initially on the collection and archiving of required documentation. Responsibilities to then expand (after training if needed) to some dimensional inspection in a backup role.
· Extends the production planning capacity of the Legacy business team by handling some of the less complicated parts and assemblies. Serves as backup when lead planner is out of the office.
· Actively participates on quality improvement project teams and makes strong contributions to the teams’ success.
· Performs preventive maintenance on forklifts and jack trucks as-needed and completes any required records.
· Uses forklifts and jack trucks to safety move heavy material and completes daily logs and inspection forms.
· Maintains a clean work area, properly disposing waste in the proper containers inside and dumpsters outside.
· Provides backup support to the receiving and shipping staff when needed. These extended responsibilities may include the following:
· Runs SAP reports to plan daily work schedule.
· Contacts freight companies regarding shipments and deliveries.
· Unloads trucks and containers, receives deliveries of new and returned material, verifies their accuracy and logs them in SAP, and ensures that they are routed to the correct inspection, inventory, or repair location. Compares identifying information and counts, weighs, or measures items of incoming and outgoing shipments to verify information against bills of lading, invoices, orders or other records.
· Refuses to accept deliveries of damaged items and customer product that has no certificate of decontamination.
· Picks orders from wherever the material is located in the factory.
· Monitors inventory of shipping materials and works with production planner to ensure that shortages never happen.
· Designs and executes packaging solutions and selects shipping methods that are minimal cost but which protect the product and ensure it arrives at the customer on time and in the same condition as when it left the factory.
· Ensures that all shipments comply with domestic and international shipping regulations.
· Maintains clear communication with all parties involved, especially Logistics and Customer Care, and immediately issues alerts when shipments are threatened.
· Stages packaged material and loads onto truck.
Tracks and reports delivery reliability relative to target.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· HS diploma or equivalent.
· 3 or more years’ experience working independently in a manufacturing environment, preferable in a material handling capacity with some shipping experience.
· Experience using SAP.
· Ability to read and follow written instructions.
· Analytical skills – must be able to reach conclusions and make recommendations based on collected data.
· Problem solving skills – must be able to troubleshoot problems in a logical manner and develop corrective action when technical support is not available.
· Written and verbal skills – must be able to communicate effectively and in a professional manner with suppliers, customers, and fellow employees.
· Forklift certification
· Must be physically fit and able to lift up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
· Must be willing to learn new skills and take on other responsibilities as-needed within the organization, such as assembly and test of products.
History of making positive contributions to continual improvement programs and initiatives.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Experience applying corrective action techniques such as 8D and the “A3” process.
· Familiarity with domestic and international shipping regulations.
· Production planning experience.
Dimensional inspection experience.