Engineering Specialist I - HVAC Controls
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 223230
Primary Location: United States-Alaska-Anchorage
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: 35%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services. For more information, please visit:
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
For more information, please visit:
The Engineering Specialist role is a challenging role that allows individuals to design Automation Systems and then commission these systems into operation. This role is very rewarding because individuals get first hand use of the systems they develop and can rapidly learn better and faster ways to create excellent Building Automations Systems. Engineering Specialists first learn how to operate and commission Automation Systems in buildings. They then continue their development in learning to design these systems. Some Engineering Specialists grow to manage the lifecycle of automation construction projects with additional duties including project management, estimating, tracking, and coordination of labor.
· Attends pre-booking and sales to operations turnover meetings to evaluate the accuracy of sales estimate and job layout. Reviews plans, specifications, and contract to determine project requirements.
· Designs, plans, and handles start-up functions on selected control systems based on project plans, specifications, and contract documents.
· Prepares submittals containing schematics, descriptions and technical literature for the approval of the owner's representative or as required. Obtains submittal approval and prepares as built drawings.
· Troubleshoots possible issues including identifying and debugging software, electrical or pneumatic and installation problems.
· Selects product sizes, types, and location placement to ensure products meet specification requirements.
· Prepares database and job related programming for computer-based systems. Prepares and justifies engineering re-estimate reports.
· Provides on-site assistance or performs the installation and start-up, checkout and turnover process.
· Organizes and maintains the job folder and updates pertinent job related information.
· Participates in job site final walk-through on assigned jobs and completes all job closeout documentation.
· Acts as a technical resource to existing customers and field employees as needed.
· Coordinates work with subcontractors.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· HS diploma or equivalent required.
· Specialized skill training/certification may be required.
· Successfully demonstrates advanced knowledge of a technical or specialty area.
· Demonstrated self starter with excellent communications skills.
· Troubleshooting skills in mechanical and electrical systems.
· Capable of working with teams of individuals as well as on one’s own.
· Must be knowledgeable with MS Word and Excel.
· Individual must possess a valid Driver’s license in good standing and must be at least 21 years of age in order to participate in the required Siemens vehicle plan.
· Individual must be capable of working on construction sites and have a commitment following safety practices.
· Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in the area of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science fields.
· Previous Building Automation or DDC Controls experience.
· AutoCAD and/or drafting experience.
· Demonstrated self starters with excellent communications skills.