Information Technology Building Automation Technician I
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 223234
Primary Location: United States-Alaska-Anchorage
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 40%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit:
Reporting to the Specialist Supervisor, this position coordinates, manages, implements and performs technical function testing, programming and startup of newly installed equipment and related controllers. This position has evolved to become heavily network and computer focused. Siemens Building controls software is a graphical user interface allowing the integration of all smart connected systems inside of modern buildings. We leverage our network of Smart Devices to help our customer’s buildings work for them. Our technicians are the primary integrators of these systems, setting up our GUI with dynamic graphics, data collection and advanced user experiences. We work closely with client IT departments to setup our servers on VMs or in the Cloud, provide RDP or remote sessions and integrate to mobile platforms. In this position you’ll be able to see the project from ground up construction where you test individual devices, to running dynamic reports from a custom designed UI.
· Participates in the performance of System Preparation & Design Coordination: works with engineering group to create and/or verify point database; participates in the review/modification of job specific programming via computer for various systems (controls, systems); and in the review/modification and upload of point database, review/modification of semi-complex graphics in the Central Processing Unit (CPU).
· Participates in the verification of point database and programming are consistent with scope of work for integration and sequence; backs up data from data servers and/or creates automated backup procedure; troubleshoots and resolves routine inconsistencies in the functions or sequence of operations; contacts Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for technical support as/when needed; resolves basic issues; refers complex matters to supervisor as needed. Participates in the set up and configuration of PC workstations, user interfaces; data servers, IP Networking devices, protocols, routers, switches, mass storage devices and hubs. Confirms proper network performance.
· Provides support for the scheduling of trade contractors to coordinate startup services as needed; participates in the coordination of network drops, IP addresses and monitoring tools with customer's IT Department personnel; works with equipment vendors to coordinate communication protocols, encryption, and database requirements for integration to their systems.
· Runs semi-complex reports to analyze system operation, works with customer to demonstrate system operation and verify consistency with the contracted scope of work (IE Commissioning Agents or test and balance contractors, others); participates in final inspection and testing; assures customer acceptance; trains customers on system operations. Completes and submits routine written reports; provides Plans & Control System Documents to engineering for as-built drawings.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Education
· HS diploma or equivalent required.
· Specialized skill training/certification may be required.
· Generally, 2+ years of successful experience in area of responsibility and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above.
· Individual must possess a valid Driver's license in good standing and must be at least 21 years of age in order to participate in the required Siemens vehicle plan
· This position will require travel for both training and work purposes. At time, travel can be up to 40% but should usually be much less. Most work related travel will be within Alaska, however, occasional support is needed in the Hawaiian Islands and possibly Guam. Training travel can occur in any of the west coast states from Alaska to California and often occurs in Chicago, Illinois.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Education:
· Associates degree or 1-2 years of vocational technical training preferred.