Plant Manager Rail Electrification
Business Unit: Mobility (MO)
Requisition Number: 223645
Primary Location: United States-Oregon-Tualatin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
The “Turnkey Projects and Rail Electrification” (TPE) Business Unit of Siemens supplies electrical substation and overhead catenary equipment in the US and Canadian rail market. The Operations Manager is a senior position within our successful team reporting directly to the Head of the Business Unit. Strong leadership, people development skills and a passion for continuous improvement are a few of the key attributes required for this role Multiple functions will report into the Operations Manager, including Production, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Material & Order Management and EH&S. Other critical organizational interfaces include Sales/Marketing, Procurement, Finance, Project Management, Engineering and Human Resources. The Operations Management role will have responsibility for leading the day-to-day operations of the Tualatin factory close to beautiful Portland, Oregon.
- Ensure the safety of the workforce, vendors and customers
- Ensure that the factory complies with all regulations & circulars per MO & local ISO requirements – with respect to Safety & Quality
- Ensure excellent customer satisfaction by providing products & services from the factory on-time, and with the highest quality
- Achieve correct cost position in the factory through optimal inventory turns, minimal non-conformance costs, high utilization, efficiency & productivity, controlling budget & expenses/spending, and excellent employee/labor relations
- Assess the strength and opportunities of the day-to-day operations, and be able to develop appropriate strategies to transform into World Class Operations
- Demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset and a results & quality orientation, along with being a champion for employee involvement, communications and change management
- Build a strong team in Operations, with good bench-strength
- Effectively verbal and written communications to shop-floor employees, customers & management
- Strategic impact on the overall success of business
- Develop and manage departmental budgets and business plans.
- Acts as advisor, troubleshooting and resolving problems within cross-functional areas.
- Demonstrate leadership for process improvement mindset (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma methodologies, Cost, Asset Management, Delivery Reliability and Quality) is a requirement
- Demonstrate effective oversite of supplier management
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, Advanced degree preferred.
- About 15% travel required, visiting customers, suppliers or partners
- SAP, Excel, Access, VSM, RCA, FMEA, and other Lean/Quality Tools
- Demonstrates understanding and application of management approaches for work direction, motivation, and performance management.
- Typically 8+ years of successful experience in a directly related field and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
The preferred candidate for this key role will possess a minimum of 10 years of manufacturing operations experience with successful roles in production, supervision, engineering, quality, safety and materials. Additionally, he/she will have a successful track record of developing employees and creating bench strength for an organization. Experience working for a matrixed organization is also expected.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future.