Application Engineer - Factory Automation
Business Unit: Factory Automation
Requisition Number: 223816
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-Atlanta
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 75%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Digital Factory Division offers a comprehensive portfolio of seamlessly integrated hardware, software and technology-based services in order to support manufacturing companies worldwide in enhancing the flexibility and efficiency of their manufacturing processes and reducing the time to market of their products.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/digital-factory.htm
Location is Flexible
Siemens Industry – Digital Factory: The Factory Automation business unit has an Application Engineer position available focused on long-term assignments at specific strategic account(s). The application engineer is the technical lead on-site for assisting the customer in standardization efforts as the customer transitions to a Siemens architecture and solution.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a strong team providing the best end to end industrial automation solutions in the market. Siemens is leading the charge in providing innovative solutions to bolster the manufacturing renaissance in the US.
· Acts as the technical lead on-site at the customer location for short-term assignments ranging from a couple of weeks to 3 months depending on the specific customer situation or requirements
· Applies acquired process, application, product and/or equipment knowledge based on current industry trends, best practices, performance, price and functionality to define the future automation strategy for specific strategic accounts
· Provides technical product advice for the development and implementation of customer solutions or standards.
· Reviews/analyzes specification costs of installations to determine changes/revisions resulting in lower design/manufacturing costs and increase profitability.
· Proposes specific products and value engineering adaptations with cost-effective results, meeting customer needs.
· Performs complex hardware and/or software design consultation in accordance with customer/project needs.
· Provide one-on-one support and assist customers through applications from concept through completion.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
An Application Engineer is experienced in automation architectures involving multiple products and technologies and has comprehensive knowledge in architecting complex solutions. . This position requires an individual with very strong organizational, technical, and communication skills as the individual will be interfacing on-site with the customer at many levels within their organization.
Technical Skills Required
o Controllers (PLCs)
o HMI Panels
o PC Based Automation
o Machine Safety
o Motion Control and Drives
Engineering Soft Skills Required
o Solution fitting
o Proof of concept
o Tech selling
· Bachelor of Science in electrical/computer/mechanical engineering or computer science
· Typically 5-10 years of experience in automation/motion control systems and demonstration of key responsibilities and knowledge as described above.
· Travel 75%
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Prior Siemens automation experience is a plus
Program management experience is a plus
Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging. Not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning and seizes more opportunity than others. Can rally the organization behind the right opportunities and initiatives
Strategic Agility: Is future oriented. Has broad knowledge and perspective. Can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans. Strong in influencing without control
Perseverance: Pursues everything with energy, drive and need to finish. Seldom gives up before finishing, in face of resistance and setbacks
Business acumen: Knows how business works and is aware how the strategies and tactics work in the marketplace. Knowledgeable in current and possible future practices, trends and information affecting the business
Organizational Agility: Knows how to get things done through formal and informal networks. Understands the culture of the organization. Is able to work effectively in a matrix structure to exploit opportunities
Customer Focus: Intense customers focus and uses customer information for improvement in products and services