RFID Systems Engineer-Industrial Automation-PA-TN-VA-GA-NC
Business Unit: Process Automation
Requisition Number: 223915
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-Atlanta
Other Locations: United States-Tennessee-Nashville, United States-Pennsylvania-Harleysville, United States-North Carolina-Charlotte, United States-Virginia-Richmond
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 30%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Siemens Process Industries & Drives helps customers increase productivity, safety, reliability, efficiency and time-to-market for plants and processes with innovative, integrated technology across the entire lifecycle. With a deep understanding of individual market segments, Siemens helps customers respond quickly and confidently to new market requirements and challenges, strengthening their competitiveness.
For more information, please visit:
Siemens US Talent Acquisition
Position Title: RFID Systems Engineer
Siemens Industry Inc. has an opening for a RFID Systems Engineer with the primary focus to provide pre-sales technical support to customers. This position reports to the Communication & Identification Business Segment but works closely with the Industrial Sales teams and RFID Sales Specialists to support customers and develop opportunities to grow the Siemens RFID business in the US. This position may be based in any major US city. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Serve as a technical subject matter expert for Siemens RFID products and associated solutions.
- Assist customers in the early design stages through application analysis, site surveys, developing RFID system architectures and proof of concept systems, recommendation of products suitable for proposed solution, etc.
- Develop “sample projects” using Siemens RFID products and SIMATIC PLCs to facilitate ease of adoption at new customers
- Provide consultative technical support to customers during design, testing, debugging and commissioning of RFID systems
- Develop and conduct in-person technical training, product update sessions or hands-on workshops for Customers, Distributors and Solution Partners
- Grow Siemens RFID champions throughout the partner community in the US by providing latest and pertinent technical information.
- Develop ideas and design table-top RFID demo systems for use at customer presentations, trade shows and training workshops
- Support RFID Sales Specialists and Product Marketing Managers in customer facing events and business development efforts.
- Develop and maintain “tribal knowledge” documentation and application notes for the benefit of customers and partners.
- Develop content for white papers and technical presentations.
- Collaborate with Siemens RFID pre-sales technical team in Siemens Germany to facilitate knowledge transfer
- Offer RFID product improvement suggestions to Product Marketing based on field experience and competitor intelligence
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Familiarity with HF and UHF RFID readers including RFID tags and antenna selection, HF/UHF reader configuration as well as common RFID industrial applications
- Familiarity with industrial networks and protocols including PROFIBUS, PROFINET, Ethernet/IP, XML over TCP/IP, and serial ASCII.
- Basic knowledge
of PLC based industrial automation solution sets and architectures.
Experience with PLC programming including ladder logic and structured command language (SCL) as commonly used in industrial RFID system control strategies, data parsing/handling, and host integration.
- Ability to simultaneously coordinate and support multiple RFID opportunities/projects. Support activities include attending/running technical review meetings, timely resolution of issues, offering best practices advise and application optimization suggestions.
- Ability to present to small and medium size audiences the highlights and unique value propositions of Siemens RFID products and solutions
- 3 to 5 years of successful experience in a related field or role and demonstrable proof of required knowledge and skill-set as described above.
- Education: BS in engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Anticipated travel: ~35%
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
- Familiarity and working knowledge of Siemens SIMATIC RFID readers, communication modules, tags and antennae.
- Deep working knowledge of SIMATIC PLC programming in TIA Portal environment as demonstrated by past work experience
- Experience with PC host system application development using object-oriented languages such as C# and Java.
- Work experience in the Automotive or Aerospace industry – especially related to RFID applications
- Working knowledge of 1D/2D Optical Code Readers
- Knowledge of RFID products from Balluff and SIC