Senior Systems Engineer
Business Unit: Strategy & Innovation
Requisition Number: 224571
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineers
Siemens Healthineers are currently seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to contribute to new platform development within their Molecular Diagnostics Business. Contributions are expected at the individual level. Must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment. Capable of integrating requirements from the various stakeholders and have ability to balance the needs of cost, quality and time-to-market.
The Systems Engineer is responsible for coordinating and integrating the different technical disciplines in the creation of a realized instrument design. This person is responsible for acting as technical liaison between separate internal and external engineering teams and coordinating their efforts in developing a total solution. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of engineering fundamentals and how they can be applied across engineering, chemistry, and software disciplines, as well as an appreciation for the regulated medical device industry. He/she will be able to perform systems thinking (big picture view). An understanding of electro-mechanical, precision fluidic handling, and software-controlled systems is critical, and experience with molecular assay/method development is a plus. The individual must function well both independently and as part of an integrated team. Effective verbal and written communication skills are essential. This person will report to the Head of Systems Engineering
The ideal background is in systems, biomedical, mechanical, chemical, or electrical engineering, with related experience in system architecture, requirements development, and project management. Work experience in the medical device industry or other regulated industry is a must.
· Contributes to the creation of a functional architecture for a complete system and of a technical realization concept over all its domain and technical aspects.
· Evaluates different concepts with respect to technological and commercial aspects.
· Specifies and integrates standard products, components and subsystems according to the required functionality of the system and coordinates their interfaces and interaction.
· Verifies and validates the concepts and specifications versus the requirements and standards.
· Provides feedback and lessons learned to the Engineering Organization and R&D department.
· Acts internally as an integrating and coordinating technical function.
· May draft the integration test concept (in cooperation with the Requirements Engineer).
· May take over dispositive functions or responsibility for costs, time and quality (in cooperation or as substitute for the respective positions).
· Surveys and investigates the requirements on the technical system, made from various aspects (customer, law, standards, technical analysis, etc.).
· Processes the requirements: analysis, structuring and documentation in transparent form, incl. corresponding sources and stakeholders.
· May support the verification of the requirement fulfillment in the execution phase in cooperation with quality management.
· May support the translation of customer needs into engineering requirements and specifications
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline (Master’s preferred)
· Typically 3-5 years of engineering experience in the molecular diagnostic or related industry
· A proven track record in acting as a systems engineering and managing projects across multiple engineering teams
· Ability to work and influence in a matrixed organization is essential
· Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to communicate rapidly and effectively within the organization and to represent the company in a professional manner
· Experience working in multiple engineering and scientific disciplines including some combination of biochemistry, mechanical design, electrical engineering, optics, fluidics, software development and/or control systems
· Ability to create a product vision and champion that vision within the organization
· Skilled in complex systems engineering problems and developing viable solutions
· Knowledgeable in formalized decision making and root cause analysis processes
· Experience with design thinking, set-based design, risk management and design of six sigma a plus.