Business Unit: Logistics and Airport Solutions
Requisition Number: 224606
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Irving
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens Postal, Parcel & Airport Logistics LLC is a provider of logistics industry products and solutions. The business comprises a comprehensive portfolio in mail & parcel logistics and automation, airport logistics with baggage handling and air cargo, as well as service offerings supporting our customers with maintenance, operation and optimization. Our customers are airports & airlines, courier express parcel providers, the US Postal Service and commercial postal service providers.
Interoperable locomotives and efficient cargo- management systems ensure trouble-free cargo transport. Innovative automation solutions for package, luggage and letter deliveries (along with comprehensive security technologies and comprehensive logistics processes) guarantee a functional transport network.
The result: a functional logistics system with seamless transport chains for efficient cargo transport.
Siemens Logistics Software provides a wide range of software applications that support the airport baggage handling and postal/parcel industries in maintaining and reinforcing its competitive edge. Designing our solutions based on standardized base components ensure a high degree of flexibility and scalability. We are in search for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our team.
The Engineering Manager will coordinate day-to-day technical activities and help address issues that arise within the Engineering group to ensure the appropriate technical skills are being developed and departmental, proposal, project, and customer needs are satisfied. This position will be responsible for Hardware Engineering including Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
The responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Guide technical activities and develop technical skills within a given discipline to ensure department, proposal, project, and customer needs are satisfied.
• Ensure discipline related technical processes, procedures, and best practices are defined, documented, and followed in daily engineering activities associated with a given discipline.
• Use problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills to help the team operate effectively and efficiently.
• Coordinate communications to and from a given discipline to ensure everyone is informed of performance expectations and emerging issues.
• Ensure realistic project plans are developed and successfully executed to approved budget, scope, and quality constraints.
• Ensure compliance to specifications and internal development processes.
• Ensure new or less experienced staff receive appropriate technical training and mentoring.
• Communicate and document “institutional (tribal) knowledge” to ensure this beneficial information is shared and available to others as the company continues to grow.
• Ensure compliance to budgets and schedules.
• Provide estimates for effort and cost in support of proposal development activities and ongoing progress reporting (Earned Value, S-Curves, etc).
•Identify capital needs for a given discipline to support development of the Engineering Department’s capital budget.
• Manage employee performance:
o Coach employees and provide feedback with respect to work products produced and adherence to process.
o Conduct Performance Reviews and recommend salary increases and promotions.
o Coach on processes and engineering skills with new hires and in developmental areas with others, as appropriate.
• Provide guidance on contacts within the organization.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• A BS degree in an appropriate engineering field
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience with 3 years in leadership role. Hands on experience in design and development is highly desired.
• Demonstrated success working with customers to identify unique needs in their operating environment and develop customized solutions to satisfy those needs.
• Expertise in the associated design, commissioning, and testing tools and applications used to deliver projects and systems.
• The ability to lead others in the successful design and development of complex systems.